The Surgery - Sansui 350 Tuner/Amplifier

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello Gents

The first stage of surgery on the oldtimer Sansui tuner/amp was successfully completed. A huge amount of dust was vacuumed from its innards. The tuner's flywheel had broken off its spindle and this was tackled first. Its nut was seized on the spindle thread but I finally got it off. I decided not to use its lead?/threaded centre and instead chucked the flywheel in my lathe and milled a little recess for a flanged 6mm brass nut to ensure dead centre and bonded it where the broken-off bit used to be. The replacement was bonded on with Pratleys Special Purpose no 1 expoxy and will never break again.

Next up was a new power cord as some doos cut the old leaving only about 25cm.

After that it was just general cleaning of all pots, sockets, dial, knobs and casework before re-assembly and hooking up to the ac through my trusty lightbulb gadget for a couple of hours.

The chassis underneath is spotless and required no cleaning but there's lots of corrosion/rust above. The tuning meter is working but every single lightbulb is dead, and there are many. I'm not sure if the bulbholders are corroded but will have to check these at some later stage.

Listening to Jussi Bjoerling on FMR now. There's and odd faint crackle through the speakers every now and then at low volume but if the sound is turned up, it goes. Could be a still dirty vol. pot?

mafioso  

Attachments

• IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 74