Author Topic: TV Box for streaming  (Read 3845 times)

Offline juventino

Re: TV Box for streaming
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »
Has anyone used the Roku Ultra?
Compared to Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and other Android boxes it was rated highly. Only issue is the remote which needs to be used in line of site to the streamer.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Gifted

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
I still just love a simple Chromecast tbh

Offline vleisman

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Something like this. Only problem is that it is rooted and Showmax won't run on a rooted device so you'll need to install an app to hide the SU user.

https://www.wish.com/search/android%20tv#cid=5a65a170be46696edd0eefae

Ticked all the boxes though, I have 2. The Xbox One does it best though.

I bought one of these and at the price it is great. At double the price it would still be a bargain.

Offline wesrobb

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
My Nvidia Shield order got stuffed up. I got an Apple tv4 for now. Iíll try again to get the Shield

You did the right thing. Get a Shield or ATV and be done with it. They have proper support for the apps unlike some of the chinese stuff we get.

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
I have had my eye on the Nvidia Shield but it is expensive. I've just ordered the Xiaomi Mibox which is netflix certified, showmax, dstv now, streamer (I am going to test it to see how it picks up media sitting on my NAS server) and I'f I'm not happy will send it back for a refund & then pull the trigger on the Nvidia
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
I have had my eye on the Nvidia Shield but it is expensive. I've just ordered the Xiaomi Mibox which is netflix certified, showmax, dstv now, streamer (I am going to test it to see how it picks up media sitting on my NAS server) and I'f I'm not happy will send it back for a refund & then pull the trigger on the Nvidia

If your router is 5 GHz it should be fine. You can also get a USB to Ethernet adapter to connect it by cable to your router, but I think they are 10/100 not gigabit. I will do a test with the kids' MiBox to my server and report back. Their content is on a USB External drive but they do access DSTV Now and Showmax with no issue over WiFi.
Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 02:35:36 PM »
If your router is 5 GHz it should be fine. You can also get a USB to Ethernet adapter to connect it by cable to your router, but I think they are 10/100 not gigabit. I will do a test with the kids' MiBox to my server and report back. Their content is on a USB External drive but they do access DSTV Now and Showmax with no issue over WiFi.

Thanks FranZAR! I will have to look then for a USB to ethernet adapter (it's just that many of my Bluray rips which sit on my NAS & they are large files) and getting the streaming box to access the content as quick as possible will sort out recent latency issues (which I actually am in the process of testing where the latency is between NAS Server, Router, Mede8er, AVR, Smart TV with 100mbs Fibre internet) as it seems when watching my blurays off the NAS there seems to be some latency in picture & sound, and not sure if it's a problem with the mede8er, NAS, router so will try with the Xiaomi, over wifi & also over ethernet to perform same tests and if still persists look at router, then finally NAS.
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
Thanks FranZAR! I will have to look then for a USB to ethernet adapter (it's just that many of my Bluray rips which sit on my NAS & they are large files) and getting the streaming box to access the content as quick as possible will sort out recent latency issues (which I actually am in the process of testing where the latency is between NAS Server, Router, Mede8er, AVR, Smart TV with 100mbs Fibre internet) as it seems when watching my blurays off the NAS there seems to be some latency in picture & sound, and not sure if it's a problem with the mede8er, NAS, router so will try with the Xiaomi, over wifi & also over ethernet to perform same tests and if still persists look at router, then finally NAS.

My Mede8er plays 40gig BluRay ISO files off server with no issues at all (Gigabit LAN). The Mede8er must preferably be set to use NFS and not SMB.

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
My Mede8er plays 40gig BluRay ISO files off server with no issues at all (Gigabit LAN). The Mede8er must preferably be set to use NFS and not SMB.

will check my settings on my Mede8er, will have to check my router as well. its really weird, becuase I'm getting 2160p on netflix via the TV over wifi on the same network and for some reason the media between mede8er & nas (mede8er via ethernet cable into network & server via ethernet) on certain files only (so if the files are smaller) then generally ok. but the moment I try watch anything large like a 40gb file it just is constantly jumping from either slow mo on picture & then jumping and stopping on sound
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:58:13 PM by JoziNic »

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
will check my settings on my Mede8er, will have to check my router as well. its really weird, becuase I'm getting 2160p on netflix via the TV over wifi on the same network and for some reason the media between mede8er & nas (mede8er via ethernet cable into network & server via ethernet) on certain files only (so if the files are smaller) then generally ok. but the moment I try watch anything large like a 40gb file it just is constantly jumping from either slow mo on picture & then jumping and stopping on sound

I've just seen the specs of my router on the internet, and see it's frequency is 2.4~2.4835 GHz...so that could be where the problem sits

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
I've just seen the specs of my router on the internet, and see it's frequency is 2.4~2.4835 GHz...so that could be where the problem sits
Then it is most probably 10/100 on LAN and not gigabit, which will result in the Mede8er stuttering on the large files.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »
Then it is most probably 10/100 on LAN and not gigabit, which will result in the Mede8er stuttering on the large files.

Just tested a 30gig file located on my server. Plays perfect from MiBox via WiFi. No buffering. MiBox connects to 5gig radio on Ubiquity AP1 which is on CAT6 to Ubiquity EdgeMax router.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:40:45 PM by FranZAR »

Offline Dolby

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »

That should still be enough.

Even the slowest WiFI N on 2.4Ghz is 150Mbps theoretical ... which should at least give a real 20Mbps throughput.  Download a program called WiFi Sweetspots, connect to your home WiFi and see what it outputs.

Perhaps it's actually the CPU not being able to process?

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
That should still be enough.

Even the slowest WiFI N on 2.4Ghz is 150Mbps theoretical ... which should at least give a real 20Mbps throughput.  Download a program called WiFi Sweetspots, connect to your home WiFi and see what it outputs.

Perhaps it's actually the CPU not being able to process?
It should be for exclusive use yes, but generally most households have a wack of mobile devices etc on the WiFi network and it eats into the bandwidth.

We're only four and 8 devicee connected on WiFi...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:08:14 PM by FranZAR »

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
It should be for exclusive use yes, but generally most households have a wack of mobile devices etc on the WiFi network and it eats into the bandwidth.

We're only four and 8 devicee connected on WiFi...

What app are you using to test your network? Wifi sweetspots doesn't give me any kind of info like that? Off speed test on the wifi I'm getting 40mb down, 23mb up, 2ms ping 1.5ms jitter.

But I think I've found the problem, seems to be the mede8er. Even while playing the same movie scene but via hard drive directly connected to the mede8er it still keeps cutting sound off. And when playing same movie off Netflix plays without an issue. I'm trying to see if I can get my PS3 to access the same files off my server to eliminate it being the router and or Nas.