Author Topic: TV Box for streaming  (Read 3562 times)

Offline TimbaLand

TV Box for streaming
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
I wanna have smart apps for streaming Netflix, use Kodi, Showmax, etc. what good TV box do u recommmd  that won’t break the bank?
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline BWS

Re: TV Box for streaming
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
Something like this. Only problem is that it is rooted and Showmax won't run on a rooted device so you'll need to install an app to hide the SU user.

https://www.wish.com/search/android%20tv#cid=5a65a170be46696edd0eefae

Ticked all the boxes though, I have 2. The Xbox One does it best though.
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
Surely Apple TV over Xbox One - I believe the Xbox also doesn't handle colour correctly (so same as the 360).

Offline WGS

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
I have a Minix X8-H Plus, complete with original packaging

PM me if you interested

Offline rodga

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »
Telkom LIT

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline BWS

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
Surely Apple TV over Xbox One - I believe the Xbox also doesn't handle colour correctly (so same as the 360).

Possibly, but you can't play Forza on an Apple TV and the Xbox colour is just fine for me
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
Possibly, but you can't play Forza on an Apple TV and the Xbox colour is just fine for me

Sure, but just speaking strictly as a media box. Besides correct output, the fact that it can also auto-switch frame rates and formats is another bonus.

Offline Larry

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »

Surely XboxOne X would work, HDR support etc..?

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
Surely XboxOne X would work, HDR support etc..?

It would work, but not as well as an Apple TV. The Apple TV 4K also supports HDR, but unlike the Xbox it can play back content correctly at its native frame rate and in its native format (the Xbox One also forces all Netflix content to play back in HDR on a compatible display, making SD content appear washed out). Also helps that the UI is a lot friendlier. The only area the Apple TV is missing out on is Atmos support, but that is in the pipeline.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:24:33 AM by KenMasters »

Offline Larry

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
It would work, but not as well as an Apple TV. The Apple TV 4K also supports HDR, but unlike the Xbox it can play back content correctly at its native frame rate and in its native format (the Xbox One also forces all Netflix content to play back in HDR on a compatible display, making SD content appear washed out). Also helps that the UI is a lot friendlier. The only area the Apple TV is missing out on is Atmos support, but that is in the pipeline.

Fair point - I have an Xbox One X, but I never, ever use it for streaming, the ATV user interfce and experrience is far superior.

Offline seeyou

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
Can't recommend the Nvidia Shield TV enough, but you'd have to import or find a local grey importer.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
Can't recommend the Nvidia Shield TV enough, but you'd have to import or find a local grey importer.

I was also keen on the Shield, but Apple really stepped up to the plate with their auto settings update.

Offline Larry

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
I was also keen on the Shield, but Apple really stepped up to the plate with their auto settings update.

The ATV footprint is excellent too

Offline seeyou

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
The ATV footprint is excellent too

The Shield 2017 model is absolutely tiny. Maybe a touch longer, but actually far better looking, especially when it's on and the Cylon-type bar is lit up :)

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*