Author Topic: Speaker for fun :)  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Enigma_2k4

Re: Speaker for fun :)
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
OMG those are beautiful! Very very well done!

Offline LouisF

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
If this is what you produce for fun I can't wait to see what you come up with if you are getting earnest...
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
If this is what you produce for fun I can't wait to see what you come up with if you are getting earnest...

:giggle: .. I need to make things to stay happy!

XO has had a decent mod and they ere getting close to respectable  :O0:

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:40 PM »
Stunning work Sean! How did you do the holes for the drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SeanS

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Ok.. some time has passed and work has been ongoing with some big gaps. I'll give some info on where I have ended up.There have been a few changed along the way and there will be some small tweaks but expect it will remain largely the same.

Have moved from using Speaker Workshop to SoundEasy, however still switch between the 2. SE for all measurements, exported into SW

On the box, I had wanted something that would reach upper 30hz, initially thought I would tune the box approx. 34 hz, both options would give an equal f3. Settled on 30hz on listening.(green)

This is the final box tuning, ended up as expected (merged port/nearfield, spliced with gated on axis)

more to come

Offline SeanS

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »
This are the mid / tweeter measurements (no xo), measured from in line with tweeters, it works out that the tweeter is approx 70 degrees ahead of the mid, looking at a 3k xo (11.5cm wavelength), 2,2cm accoustic offset.. but this will differ if mic position goes up and down. But this is where I'll start work as tweeters are close to ear level.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
This is the modelling of the XO which is overall 3.5 way.. 4th order between Mid/Tweet (3000hz), 2nd order bass / mid(lower 300hz). The mid LP is not strictly 4th order electrical but the acoustic result is 4th order which fixes the phase diff introduced by the flat baffle. I tried various different topologies but kept ending up here. Below 200hz is in line with the modeled box pic, it rises approx 2-3 db before the 39hz f3.

ON straight 3 way, the bass seemed too prominent, I was initially back and forth on this, and different rooms may have different preferences. On lower order XOs mid/tweeter the mid ends up playing a good few db down with the bass/tweeter overlapping more, I preferred the cleaner mid contribution.

The dip at 1k I left as is vs. fiddling which fixed the line but messed with everything else... on listening its not noticeable, and its relevance will vary based on up/down left right etc. It is due to an impedance wriggle in the driver response.. not box / stuffing related or fixable.

Om impedance... they are quite low due to the parallel 8r Drivers lowest is 3.25R @ 90Hz, the rest above 4r. Electric phase worst is 75hz, 54 degrees and 4.2R.

Phase between mid and tweeter is lovely in my opinion :)

Offline Brian J

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
I heard these recently they look and sound fantastic!!!

Offline SeanS

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
Thanks Brian, they have had a few tweaks since you heard to nudge them the right way :)... I plan to post some measurements, am currently one armed so slightly slow to get there :)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »

Totally agree!

... am currently one armed so slightly slow to get there :)

Oh, dear! I hope you're going to be alright.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline SeanS

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Oh, dear! I hope you're going to be alright.
.. getting there, fell off my bike, broke my shoulder, now I have a bionic one :).

on measurements..

on axis is as expected (gated on axis), the notch out of phase is now at 3k, changed things slightly. I forgot to hit save on off axis measurements but the rolloff is very even.

Pulse response

in room measurement with REW, both speakers from approx listening position

Spectograph of above, some room perticulars showing themselves, Im ok with them, we co-exist :)