Author Topic: Airplane Noise Cancelling Headphones  (Read 1453 times)

Offline naushaad

Airplane Noise Cancelling Headphones
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

Is it worth getting noise cancelling headphones to use with the airline media source (mainly movies)?  If so,  cost effective suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Mervin

Re: Airplane Noise Cancelling Headphones
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »
Best is the PX from B&W
Bought the Cheap Sony ones at the airport, it is OK but you actually do get what you pay for.
I have the Sennheiser (small and larger ones) they do work well, also a bit pricey
I find that the B&W P5 over ear works just as well on a plane as it does noise isolation.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline naushaad

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
The PX would be nice, but I need to purchase four sets! :-[

Offline bavs108

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I have the PX and just used them for the first time on a flight too and from JHB earlier this week. In flight mode (highest ANC setting) the Px's block out a significant amount of about 70-80% of the engine noise, but I could still hear a dull drone from the engines at 40-50% volume. I could also still hear the flight attendants talking to me with them on.

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
The PX are very nice but comfort wise they're heavy compared to the Bose qc35 and Sony wh1000xm2. The Sony and Bose also win the ANC contest.

Offline resham

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »
I have the Bose QC25. Simply love it. Wouldn't mind upgrading to the QC35 sometime.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
The Bose's are pretty impressive, but I'd only buy them overseas. Locally they are a complete rip-off in price.

Offline naughty

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 12:21:52 AM »
what about the AKG N60NC ? (the NC at the end stands for noise cancellation and it does active noise cancellation AFAIK

this is a pricecheck link

https://www.pricecheck.co.za/search?search=akg+hi-fi+akg+n60

but i know that Govan Mani have these at R1999 currently and they do have stock of them unlike other people who advertise AKG headphones at 1/10th the price but who dont have stock

Offline Tikkeltokkel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Sleep when you're dead
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
I have a pair of Bose qc15 for sale. With case and airline adapter. Really good nic
Plenue P1 128GB DAP
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
STAX SR Lambda Signature
Marantz CD5001
Onkyo TX-NR646
Sonor Audio VKII, Pleiades, Polaris
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 Headphones
Bose QC35 II
Ultrasone Pro 900
Transparent "the wave" speaker cable
Paradigm Sub

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
what about the AKG N60NC ? (the NC at the end stands for noise cancellation and it does active noise cancellation AFAIK

this is a pricecheck link

https://www.pricecheck.co.za/search?search=akg+hi-fi+akg+n60

but i know that Govan Mani have these at R1999 currently and they do have stock of them unlike other people who advertise AKG headphones at 1/10th the price but who dont have stock

I have a pair of these actually bought them for a colleague who then changed his mind.

I am glad he did. Works well enough for the price.
~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~

Offline Atjan

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
I flew a lot and have a set of Audio Technica ATH ANC40BT phones. I'm really enjoying them. Their noise cancelling is very impressive with aircraft noise and is very compact too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's only hifi people....

Offline Audio

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 05:02:03 AM »
I have the Sony MDR1000X and use them every time i fly, which is quite often. They are simply amazing and better then the BOSE QC25/35 in my opinion. Better sound and a bit louder too. Definitely worth the investment if you fly often i have sat directly next to screaming kids and heard absolutely nothing. PURE BLISS.....

Offline Atjan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
I have the Sony MDR1000X and use them every time i fly, which is quite often. They are simply amazing and better then the BOSE QC25/35 in my opinion. Better sound and a bit louder too. Definitely worth the investment if you fly often i have sat directly next to screaming kids and heard absolutely nothing. PURE BLISS.....
Mine doesn't block out people talking, which is actually pretty useful. I luckily haven't had the screaming kid scenario for the 3months I them.

It's only hifi people....

Offline Tikkeltokkel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Sleep when you're dead
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:13 PM »
I have a pair of Bose QC25 going for a great price
Plenue P1 128GB DAP
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
STAX SR Lambda Signature
Marantz CD5001
Onkyo TX-NR646
Sonor Audio VKII, Pleiades, Polaris
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 Headphones
Bose QC35 II
Ultrasone Pro 900
Transparent "the wave" speaker cable
Paradigm Sub

Offline Audio

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
Mine doesn't block out people talking, which is actually pretty useful. I luckily haven't had the screaming kid scenario for the 3months I them.

Yup that is the ambient noise cancelling option, you can choose to let people's voice through or block all sound, all of them can do that. Very niffty option especially on the train, plane, subway, work etc...