Remastered *%#$!?@!!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have come to Hate remastered issues! The original idea with remastered albums would have been to improve on the original product using more modern techniques that would assumedly be better. But it turns out that all that remastering does is apply dynamic compression, with little regard given to the artistic merit in maintaining realistic dynamics, and none given to the effect on enjoyment!

I am listening to Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself album over Deezer Hi-Fi. It is the 2017 remastered version. I could easily tell that it was missing dynamics, even though I last heard it when I was a tiny tot over our Tempest Hi-Fi. It is actually a pain to try and enjoy it. For instance, July Morning had the soul totally ripped out of it! You can even hear it in the first few seconds of Look At Yourself, the first track: dynamics gone.

When I think of remastering - what it's supposed to be - I like to imagine that the same care and skill is being applied as in the video below. In fact, there a few recordings where drums were not recorded in the best way possible. The most famous of these being Donald Fagen's The Nightfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTYIHftOrg

Latest posts