Author Topic: Bentley acoustic listening session.  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Moog

Re: Bentley acoustic listening session.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
Was thinking i would do a review of these after i had some time this weekend with all of them. We will demo them in the same way next Saturday.

Start with the FR100 bookshelf's that go for R3800 (dimensions 320h x 270d x 180w) 100w 5" 2-way 45hz-40000hz - 89db
Out the box they start to impress, heavy and not small at all, build is good for a speaker of this price! I like the white but most will go for the black. Very easy to setup.
I start my normal test tracks and the first thing you notice is the presence, they sound warm and full of detail. Feels more like a floor stander then a bookshelf. Then the bass, i could not stop thinking how do they get it out of one small speaker. I had my dad next to me and he wanted to take them home with him.

Next i hooked up the FS110 that go for R8000 (dimensions 880h x 270d x 200w) 140w 6" 2.5 way 40hz-40000hz - 89db
Strait away its the same but more and bigger and yet again i cant stop thinking how on earth does a sound like this come from a speaker this small and at this price. Bass is tight and high's are clear, effortless sound with a warm natural presence.

Then i take the FS120 out the box that go for R10900 (dimensions 1020h x 320d x 200w) 160w 6" 3-way 35hz-40000hz -89db
Now for most this will be enough and i think this will be there best selling speaker. I dont even know where to start it so good. I have had speaker of 35k on rotel 1090 that is also 35k that does not sound like this 11k speaker on a 7k receiver. Its vodoo at its best if i have to put it into words. Still the same warm sound and crystal clear highs but with bass that sends one to look for the subs, you can feel the music and it moves the hairs on you're body(be it by force or pure enjoyment)

Lastly on the monsters FS150 that go for R13000 (dimensions 1200h x 380d x 250w) 180w 8" 3 way 25hz-40000hz -89db
If you have a big room go for these, they are big, heavy monsters. Punch like a Mike Tyson but can do it all day long. They sound a bit different then the rest in the way that you would want you're flagship to be. Just a bit more of everything! Guys you do not need power amps for these they run just fine on a receiver trust me. You do not need a sub, now i know a lot of people say this but you do not. I put them next to my Jamo 608 with built in 10" subs on a power amps and the Jamo's sound like they need to go back to the shop for some upgrades. No contest :sh1tstirrer:

Then for the HT guys the center c150 price R4000 (dimensions 650w x 150h x 120d) 120w 3-way 5 drivers system 4" 40hz-40000hz 89db)
Now for me the down side is the size, because its 5 drivers you need the 650 wide, does not fit my HT cabinet but i will soon make it happen. For now its in my 2nd setup with the 110 and 120. I have not put it on serious demo because of this but i have watched a few series with all the other speakers and its very very good, most of all the the crisp detail. Where most centers for me fall flat is the lack of open wide scale, they tend to feel compressed for me. Now this does not and it must be because of the 5 drivers. Voices feel deep while the rest feels open and big. You can hear a pin drop with extreme detail while not loosing anything on the rest. Fast and accurate! I still need to test it next to my custom RTi-A6 that is my favorite center speaker, so will give a proper review once that is done.

Package deals:
FS110P 5 speakers R12900
FS120p 5 speakers R15500
FS150p 5 speakers R18500
Greetings. With regards to the frequency response, what are the dB limits?
I was impressed by Hendrix. His attitude was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing -

Richie Hugh Blackmore

Offline bbe22

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
@ Moog
                I have not seen any freq response published on these speakers , being local, maybe the manufacturers will do that if you ask nicely
Don't understand you dB querie ??

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
@ Moog
                I have not seen any freq response published on these speakers , being local, maybe the manufacturers will do that if you ask nicely

89db sensitivity at 6ohm.

Freq response is listed for each speaker on this post : https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,69262.0.html
If you want more technical information please send me a PM.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
@ Moog
Please PM me for more technical info.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
Those are marketing-speak numbers. It firstly does not specify whether the frequency ranges are at e.g. -3dB or another value and a perfectly round 20kHz upper limit also does not exist. Graphs of frequency and impedance response should tell the full story better. Maximum SPL at a certain distortion could be what was requested, but that's usually not considered relevant for domestic uses.

Offline bbe22

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
Thanks pwatts  exactly my thoughts , not expressed clearly...........
Best of luck to Dreamerm6 and Bentley , hope they do well

Offline BobsYourUncle

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
Ok, so we know (based on Morne's word) that these are better than the likes of the Jamo S series.
I know that I should listen for myself etc but time is not on my side at the moment and I'm sure( I hope ) those that have herd these have heard other speakers that are way more expensive and can give a comment from experience.
In the meantime,I might be interested in replacing My B&W 602S3 in my bedroom with a pair of the bookshelves depending on how detailed these are as the B&W 602s3 are not detailed enough for me and I'm not 100% happy with them because of that despite them being adequate in the other areas.Id love to purchase a well made great sounding piece of local SA engineering.

I understand that opinions can only give me so much guidance but help a time strapped guy out here with an unbiased opinion.

I'm very curious about these from what I've read and the price point is lower than one would expect based on what I've read.

If anyone in the Eastrand does pick up a pair of these , Id really like to steel a few minutes of your precious time to give them a listen if I may

Wish the Bentley Acoustic's guys the best of luck with their venture
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
Not here this coming Saturday (3rd Feb). Can make next Saturday (10 Feb) if you available

Looks like ill be doing both Saturdays in anycase so its cool.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
Feb is long gone.... ;)

I'm sure you will both be fine with march, however!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline John.Perry

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »
I will also make a turn this Saturday.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
Ok so for this comming Saterday 11-1 members comming.

1-Brett
2-Aaron
3-John
4-Psyclown

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
Ok, so we know (based on Morne's word) that these are better than the likes of the Jamo S series.
I know that I should listen for myself etc but time is not on my side at the moment and I'm sure( I hope ) those that have herd these have heard other speakers that are way more expensive and can give a comment from experience.
In the meantime,I might be interested in replacing My B&W 602S3 in my bedroom with a pair of the bookshelves depending on how detailed these are as the B&W 602s3 are not detailed enough for me and I'm not 100% happy with them because of that despite them being adequate in the other areas.Id love to purchase a well made great sounding piece of local SA engineering.

I understand that opinions can only give me so much guidance but help a time strapped guy out here with an unbiased opinion.

I'm very curious about these from what I've read and the price point is lower than one would expect based on what I've read.

If anyone in the Eastrand does pick up a pair of these , Id really like to steel a few minutes of your precious time to give them a listen if I may

Wish the Bentley Acoustic's guys the best of luck with their venture

Not just S-series but anything i have every had or heard including Jamo 809 and RTi-A9

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »
Those are marketing-speak numbers. It firstly does not specify whether the frequency ranges are at e.g. -3dB or another value and a perfectly round 20kHz upper limit also does not exist. Graphs of frequency and impedance response should tell the full story better. Maximum SPL at a certain distortion could be what was requested, but that's usually not considered relevant for domestic uses.

I will get the graphs from Rudi and post it.

Online Kyle

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
I'm intrigued... I'd like to join one of the next sessions that has space... maybe bring along some gear to test with

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 04:02:58 AM »
I'm intrigued... I'd like to join one of the next sessions that has space... maybe bring along some gear to test with

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

There is still one spot open for this Saturday if you want. As for bringing gear its to much of a hassle for me to change my gear every time i have two setups we can test on. Both Yamaha 377 and 1050. I like to use the 377 just to show how easy they are to drive with a small receiver and this is what most people can get there hands on.