Author Topic: Vaping - to stop smoking  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Music_Lover

Re: Vaping - to stop smoking
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
Trompie, RJ and a few others have pointed out that the genuine desire to quit must be there or you will fail.

I gave up a 40+ Chesterfields a day habit at my first try. I'd been smoking for 34 years, from the age of 13. The first 2 days were tough, I got through it by using Greensmoke  e-cigs, they've been around a long time and you can get them in different flavours with varying levels of nicotine. They also look like normal cigarettes with no liquid to top up etc. It was never my intention to make the use of e-cigs permanent as I figured that they could be just as damaging when proper studies were eventually done. After a month I got tired of losing my e-cigs and simply just stopped. It's been over 3 years and I haven't looked back. I have no desire to smoke at all. Now if only I could do the same with booze  :headbanger:

The bottom line is that you must want to do it.
Midrand

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
I smoked for 38 years before I stopped I was smoking somewhere in the region of 40 or more a day.

Read Allen Carrís  ďThe Easy Way to Stop SmokingĒ

If you have a medical aid like Discovery they sponsor his courses too.

I just read the book from 40 plus the one day to zero the next day.

My brother stopped like this too and so did one of my friends.

My only regret is that I did not stop sooner.

https://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:39:36 PM by chrisflex »
~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
Iíve so far gone down to an average of about 3 a day from 20-30, a few triggers along the way but cutting out cigarettes on some days completely.  As a lifelong cynical bastard the motivational stuff just annoys me.  I know smoking is not good in any way, I know it is an addiction, I know what is in cigarettes (I have even analysed them myself) and I know that Iím changing my habits.  All in all, it is beginning to work.  Next up, reducing the vape nicotine content and stopping the three a day.  I do feel more sprightly as well
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 10:36:53 PM »
 :notworthy:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
So soon you are going to have to change your Avatar to Robin?   :giggle:

Well done Jon, good going!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 10:44:56 PM »
:notworthy:
Not what I meant to post.  :dance: is what I was after.
Although bothe are applicable   :thumbs:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
Told the beltsanderplugguy im using nicotine no more,then im also stopping vaping altogether just to p@ss him off beeg time  :dance:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
Confession time as the thread was revived, I was doing OK then got fed up with the vape oozing itís liquid whenever I went from one place to another.  Have switched back to filtered roll ups and trying again by cutting down on them slowly.  Donít usually have more than a few during the day but have a lack of will when a few beers are consumed.  Iíll keep trying to cut down rather than replace I think.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 08:22:32 PM »
^^^ +1 on the beer  :dop:
(try to quit big time ,smoking  :2thumbs:)

Offline JamesB

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
When the wife decided to stop smoking years ago, she employed 3 things to go about it that she learned from someone - increase will power, make it a conscious effort, and remove it as a habit.

1) Increase will power - she started smoking on a schedule, initially at 30 minutes interval until she cut it down to 3x a day.  Also gradually increased the time between waking up and 1st smoke, and between last smoke and bed time, and after meals smoke.

2) Make it a conscious effort - aside from putting it on a schedule, she started using different fingers to smoke, from between the index and middle finger to eventually between the ring finger and pinky.  The goal was to turn it into work and make it as inconvenient as possible.

3) Remove as a habit - this means disassociating it from any other activity that she has associated with smoking.  No smoking and coffee, no smoking and alcoholic drinks and no smoking with friends.  If she absolutely craves for a smoke while drinking coffee or wine/beer, she'll wait out at least 10 minutes after consuming the drink before lighting up.

Eventually she got it down from 2 packs to 3 sticks a day and after plateauing at 3 sticks for a while, just decided to sell all her cartons 1 day and stop cold turkey.  Never craved for it since, though she admits enjoying the occasional 2nd hand smoke  ;D