Author Topic: When DSTV  (Read 624 times)

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
When DSTV
« on: February 18, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
When  are we going to get 1080P from them? My son still watches kids channels like 305, which are still SD.  When I had my 40" the image quality was okay, but it's terrible on a 50" tv. I wonder if all channels will be hd someday.

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: When DSTV
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
DSTV is a ripoff! Stream, stream and stream!! Do the math.
Lots of info on the subject on this forum.  :popcorn:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »
Where ca I stream sport from thatís more cost effective ?
Itís the only reason I still have DSTV .. for soccer
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:26:49 PM »

Can't help you with soccer, but for motorsport:

Buy a videopass.

MotoGP was R2,100. (Binder Brothers & Steven Odendaal)
WSBK was R1,050.
WRC is R1,300.
That gives you access to all the practice sessions, warm-ups & races, interviews etc..

There are (free) live feeds from many other motorsports:
IMSA Endurance (Sheldon VD Linde) streamed live free of charge for most 6, 8, 12 & 24 hour races.
ADAC GT (Jordan Pepper - Bentley GT3) streams most races live for free as well.
IMSA Endurance & ADAC GT (Kelvin VD Linde (Audi) as per the above.
Moto America (Matthew Scholtz) each race is live streamed.

What other motorsport is there worth watching?
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 03:23:55 AM »

you wont really get much soccer on legal streaming currently - from what i know the BBC and Sky as well as ITV all bid for the football rights from the FA and the last deal was 5 billion British pounds for the premier league, and for now this is then distributed and resold to 120 countries with no streaming rights being given out currently

from what i read Amazon is currently negotiating to add streaming rights into the deal and is going to probably add a bid in the next round of bidding but for now if you do find streams its going to be of the illegal variety which means you probably wont pay but its not going to always be live or reliable

BTW thats only for the English Premier league but thats basically what Supersport 3 is all about ie they show mostly the Premier league and Champions league ie every single game that happens (while all of them may not be live they do spread many games amongst the various supersport channels and rebroadcast games that could not be showed live) and they also show many of the Spanish games (La Liga) also

if you watch local soccer then im sure you might get most of those games on SABC but if its the international stuff that interests you then streaming has a long way to go to catch up on offering it live (mainly because all those ridiculous 220 million euro (Neymar) and 180 million euro (kylian Mbappe) fees for players with 20 million pound + per annum wages for players like Messi and Christiano Ronaldo also all depending on TV rights income as well as sponsorship deals for all clubs depending on brand names being seen on TV, streaming is not going guarantee any of that so for now TV is pretty important for being able to watch football (aka soccer) and you will probably only find it at TV broadcasts mostly)

as far as 1080p goes i think its going to be never since they will then have to halve the number of channels they can provide or really put prices up to cover up for the bandwidth required ... also i dont think they can increase the number of HD channels they can offer since they are already at the limit of the amount they can offer without it becoming a problem - so they cannot even convert more of the SD channels into 720p or 1080i HD currently without causing quality issues on all those channels that they broadcast
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:29:29 AM by naughty »

Offline MR.C

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »

Buy a videopass.

WSBK was R1,050.
WRC is R1,300.
That gives you access to all the practice sessions, warm-ups & races, interviews etc..

IMSA Endurance (Sheldon VD Linde) streamed live free of charge for most 6, 8, 12 & 24 hour races.

F1 !

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
F1 !

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

Nope. F1 is boring. No characters, no fun & too many rules have killed the racing.

I haven't watched F1 on a regular basis for the last 5+ years, it's just not interesting anymore.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
Only reason im sticking with DSTV as well is for the Footie or it would have left ages ago.
With the Baby around though im starting to wonder if I shouldnt cancel as hardly watching the Footie either.

I see DSTV went for just under 3% increase this year for the premium bouquet.

i stopped watching F1 when they killed the pit stops, i will probably watch the first race to see how Alfa Romeo does in its first race back after 30 years
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »
I am missing rugby since unsubscribing from DSTV.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
Yes, with streaming you can get a lot. But unfortunately, you will also loose a lot.
Where will you be able to download or stream Afrikaans soapies, sport etc. Not even to talk about kids shows on 305 etc. That is why I cannot cancel DSTV at this point.

Online Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »

Buy a videopass.

WSBK was R1,050.
WRC is R1,300.

Thanks for this one!!! Will bookmark them. I love my motor sport!!
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter RŲhrl)

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
you wont really get much soccer on legal streaming currently - from what i know the BBC and Sky as well as ITV all bid for the football rights from the FA and the last deal was 5 billion British pounds for the premier league, and for now this is then distributed and resold to 120 countries with no streaming rights being given out currently

from what i read Amazon is currently negotiating to add streaming rights into the deal and is going to probably add a bid in the next round of bidding but for now if you do find streams its going to be of the illegal variety which means you probably wont pay but its not going to always be live or reliable

BTW thats only for the English Premier league but thats basically what Supersport 3 is all about ie they show mostly the Premier league and Champions league ie every single game that happens (while all of them may not be live they do spread many games amongst the various supersport channels and rebroadcast games that could not be showed live) and they also show many of the Spanish games (La Liga) also

if you watch local soccer then im sure you might get most of those games on SABC but if its the international stuff that interests you then streaming has a long way to go to catch up on offering it live (mainly because all those ridiculous 220 million euro (Neymar) and 180 million euro (kylian Mbappe) fees for players with 20 million pound + per annum wages for players like Messi and Christiano Ronaldo also all depending on TV rights income as well as sponsorship deals for all clubs depending on brand names being seen on TV, streaming is not going guarantee any of that so for now TV is pretty important for being able to watch football (aka soccer) and you will probably only find it at TV broadcasts mostly)

as far as 1080p goes i think its going to be never since they will then have to halve the number of channels they can provide or really put prices up to cover up for the bandwidth required ... also i dont think they can increase the number of HD channels they can offer since they are already at the limit of the amount they can offer without it becoming a problem - so they cannot even convert more of the SD channels into 720p or 1080i HD currently without causing quality issues on all those channels that they broadcast

Its not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the clarity :cool:

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
Agreed thanks for the clarity and info guys ..
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
Does anyone know where I could buy a new and fast as possible wifi router that accepts a SIM card?  All the providers seem to only include them with a contract package but it's basically a cheap bit of electronics.  With a cell-C sim I can then get pay as you go broadband for about R10 per gig or use an MTN one on the R40 for uncapped data for a day, plug my computer into the TV and Bob's your disgraced despot.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
Does anyone know where I could buy a new and fast as possible wifi router that accepts a SIM card?  All the providers seem to only include them with a contract package but it's basically a cheap bit of electronics.  With a cell-C sim I can then get pay as you go broadband for about R10 per gig or use an MTN one on the R40 for uncapped data for a day, plug my computer into the TV and Bob's your disgraced despot.

Makro?