Technics SL-Q2 project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a Technics SL-Q2 recently, I owned one previously and knew they where good sounding turntables. This one was complete and working according to the previous owner I did not test the unit by playing a record to make sure all is well so here it gets interesting.

The problem is with the arm and more specifically the bottom bearing it is very fragile tiny five ball bearing unit and collapses easily (Causes the arm to skate over the outer groove and slam into the first sound grooves) I presume the previous owner transported it without removing the counterweight and platter and securing the arm to the armstay(All this I learned from Mike(fdlsys)) I stripped the arm completely and repaired the collapsed bearing by straightening the plate holding the ball bearings in place the small plate itself cannot be removed as it is pressed in and punched on four sides afterwards.

That unfortunately did not work as it is too sensitive the track perfectly so I have decided to remove the original arm and subsequent auto return function and convert this to something like a SP10. So I will cut away the aluminium on the right side where the arm is mounted originally and mount the aluminium top plate on a wood plinth and source a arm to complete the deck as a direct drive manual turntable. I am also going to remove the original silver paint as it has scuff marks here and there so might consider a repaint or bare aluminum. I still have a 12" DIY arm I can mount.

Any ideas or comments or suggestions welcome.

cOTKp6e.jpg

W1FDdxy.jpg

PJBRZnx.jpg

The idea..
1468909-pristine-technics-sp10-turntable-12inch-jelco-sa-750l-tonearm-denon-dl103-cartridge.jpg