What's going on here?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the kaput Edirol USB interface has been replaced with a Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD.

It is used exclusively for 78rpm playback and recording, youtube stuff and other assorted computer sound.

For 78rpm playback, I use a Garrard 301 fitted with a Grace arm and a custom-built MC cartridge specifically for 78's only. The step up device I use for this is a little Lentek powered device and its gain currently escapes me.

The amplifier used with this setup is a flea power Dynaco 17W/channel valve amp.

In the past when I used the Edirol interface, I most definitely needed to switch on the Lentek step up for decent volume when playing back my 78's.

Now, with the new Behringer interface, I get much more volume and hardly need to use the step up device.

The additional gain is a welcome 'bonus' but surely a better interface than used before doesn't offer additional gain - or does it? Nothing else has been changed - same cartridge, same cabling and same battery for the step up.

skollie