Author Topic: Apologies to all Head-fi enthusiasts.  (Read 1037 times)

Offline PaganMcLoud

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
Apologies to all Head-fi enthusiasts.
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »
I have slammed headphones in the past... and whether it be irony or some strange twist of fate, I now turn to it's "believers" for some advice.  I need a decent set of used over-the-ear headphones.  My budget is small.  R1500 max... so I'm looking at used (but good condition)  I will be listening primarily to music played off a Samsung SM-T705 android tablet.  I don't wish to go the headphone amp route so some decent sensitivity is required..  I lean towards the "warmer" sound signatures, and "real" bass, not the bloated kind.  What do you recommend? 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:43:53 PM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline gLer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Apologies to all Head-fi enthusiasts.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
Hi - not to belittle your request but may I suggest you save up a little longer? You’re selling yourself short if R1500 is all you’re willing to spend. You might get something half decent, in the short term, but I’d say start at around the R2000 to R2500 mark for a good used pair of over ears, and even then they’re probably not going to be earth shattering. That said I saw someone selling a pair of Yamaha HPH PRO500 headphones on AVF around August last year for less than R2k. Not a bad bet if you’re into your bassy sound. Might be worth looking for a deal on those. New they sell for around the R3k mark. If you don’t mind open headphones, the Philips Fidelio X2 are a good buy at around R3,200 on Loot. They’ll also sound better than the Yamaha’s and are built better too. Good luck - the rabbit hole runs very deep once you discover decent head-fi.
Currently used: Audeze LCD-3F, ZMF Atticus, Rock Zircon, Audio-GD R2R-11, iFi Micro iDSD, Cayin N3

Previously used: Audeze LCD-2F, Fostex TH-X00, B&W P7, B&W P5, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, V-Moda M-100, Matrix HPA-3B, Woo WA3, Sound Blaster E5 and E3

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
Have to be full sized / on ears? For just short of a couple hundred Mandela’s I would recommend a set of Rock Zircon in-ears. Warm, tick. Efficient, tick. Bass, double tick. Just a thought.

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
Thanks for your response.  In-ears are a no-go for me.  Already have sennheiser cx200's and they damaged my hearing for 6 months.  Still on the road to recovery.  In-ears should be banned imo.   :giggle:
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
PM sent
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
Thanks for your response.  In-ears are a no-go for me.  Already have sennheiser cx200's and they damaged my hearing for 6 months.  Still on the road to recovery.  In-ears should be banned imo.   :giggle:

Too much volume is too much.  In on over. Don’t matter. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
At R1500 new the Grado SR60e is your best bet (IMHO), although they are on, not over, ear.
You don't say whether you want closed or open, the Grados are open.
Easily driven and easy to listen to.

Amps: NFB11.32 [upgraded] - Little Dot MKll [upgraded] - X-Can V3
DAC:   Benchmark DAC1 USB
Cans:  LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
At R1500 new the Grado SR60e is your best bet (IMHO), although they are on, not over, ear.
You don't say whether you want closed or open, the Grados are open.
Easily driven and easy to listen to.
Would love to try an open set but don't have ANY experience with these.  Not sure as to just how much volume is leaked.  If I'm listening at around 80 spl, would it disturb someone in the next room?  Lets say 9m away.

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Would love to try an open set but don't have ANY experience with these.  Not sure as to just how much volume is leaked.  If I'm listening at around 80 spl, would it disturb someone in the next room?  Lets say 9m away.
Depends on how easily disturbed that person is I suppose. They would certainly hear it if in line of sight.
Roughly the same volume is leaked as goes into your ears, but again, this is dependant on the specific headphone.
Can't say re the Grados, but when I use my HD600 at my usual listening volumes it can clearly be heard 30m away downstairs on a quiet night... :o

If there is a wall between you however then it should not be an issue.

Amps: NFB11.32 [upgraded] - Little Dot MKll [upgraded] - X-Can V3
DAC:   Benchmark DAC1 USB
Cans:  LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Was looking at Dng's Sennheiser Momentum 1 on ear headphones also, but google shows these to have a 44db sensitivity.  I imagine these will need a headphone amp??

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Was looking at Dng's Sennheiser Momentum 1 on ear headphones also, but google shows these to have a 44db sensitivity.  I imagine these will need a headphone amp??

... 112dB driver efficiency

-44dB microphone sensitivity, which is an entirely different spec

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
Thanks Doge.

I found the following Momentum Mach 2's.   Any reason why this should be so cheap?  The other M2's are all over R3K

https://www.pricecheck.co.za/search?search=sennheiser+momentum+on-ear+headphones

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Because if you follow the link it actually goes to the in-ears.

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
pm'd
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 10:02:26 PM »
pm'd
U sure?    :giggle:   I don't have it.  Unless u meant someone else.