Author Topic: Extremely Slow USB File Transfer Rates  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Music_Lover

Extremely Slow USB File Transfer Rates
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »
Has anyone experienced painfully slow file transfer rates via the USB 3.0 port to a USB 3.0 flash drive?

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit on a Lenovo i7 T470s 7600u with a speedy SSD and all the latest updates. The flash drive is a Sandisk USB 3.0 64GB (I've tried FAT32 and NTFS).

Copying a folder with 1000s of files and about 1.6GB in size is excruciatingly painful. It seems to start off fine for a short while and grinds to a halt at the 14% or 18% mark, going down to 0 kbs for sustained amounts of time at certain points. Strangely enough the same copy to a Samsung external HDD is infinitely faster. Copying from the flash drive back to the SSD is quick. I have experienced this on 2 Win 10 laptops and on 2 USB 3.0 flash drives, the other being a Kingston 16GB. I've tried most of the fixes from the net but nothing seems to work.
Midrand

Offline ALF

Re: Extremely Slow USB File Transfer Rates
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
most of the time if you copy a lot of small files verses bigger file sizes but the total is the same, then the smaller files will take a lot longer due to the file system needs to make entries in the MFT for each little file as it copies the files and that is normally the reason.
"the fostex thang".....

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
Try suspending your Antvirus if you have one enabled. Especially lots of smaller files can bog down a real-time scanner.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
most of the time if you copy a lot of small files verses bigger file sizes but the total is the same, then the smaller files will take a lot longer due to the file system needs to make entries in the MFT for each little file as it copies the files and that is normally the reason.

Try suspending your Antvirus if you have one enabled. Especially lots of smaller files can bog down a real-time scanner.

I'd be inclined to agree with both of you had it not been for the fact that copying to an external HDD attached to the same USB 3.0 port is much much faster with no long pauses of 0 kbs.

Thanks for the input.
Midrand

Offline 2wice

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
I'm getting the same nonsense on Windows 10. Used to be much faster on W7.
I suspect it might have something to do with the baked in OS generic driver that reports as updated from the manufacturers drivers.

I'll try something and report back.

Offline Stereoid

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
Maybe the write speed of the memory chip is slow. Read is always faster. I always buy USB's based on read/write performance. I can't stand slow sticks. Look for SanDisk Extreme or Patriot Supersonic as they have the highest read/write speeds.

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
Your flash drive is gonna be much slower than your external HDD.  I don't see a real issue here.  Not sure which model Sandisk it is, but if its those basic ones that were fairly cheap on Takealot, well then I have one of those, and they're painfully slow... I would even say I've owned USB 2 drives that were somewhat faster. 
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Juggy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
Has anyone experienced painfully slow file transfer rates via the USB 3.0 port to a USB 3.0 flash drive?

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit on a Lenovo i7 T470s 7600u with a speedy SSD and all the latest updates. The flash drive is a Sandisk USB 3.0 64GB (I've tried FAT32 and NTFS).

Copying a folder with 1000s of files and about 1.6GB in size is excruciatingly painful. It seems to start off fine for a short while and grinds to a halt at the 14% or 18% mark, going down to 0 kbs for sustained amounts of time at certain points. Strangely enough the same copy to a Samsung external HDD is infinitely faster. Copying from the flash drive back to the SSD is quick. I have experienced this on 2 Win 10 laptops and on 2 USB 3.0 flash drives, the other being a Kingston 16GB. I've tried most of the fixes from the net but nothing seems to work.

Flash Drive model number?

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
Flash Drive model number?

San Disk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 64GB SDCZ43. I've tried a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 16GB USB 3.0 and it seems to copy a whole lot better but nowhere near the transfer speeds one would expect. It does not bog down to 0 Kb/s transfer speeds like the SanDisk though.
Midrand

Offline Juggy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
San Disk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 64GB SDCZ43. I've tried a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 16GB USB 3.0 and it seems to copy a whole lot better but nowhere near the transfer speeds one would expect. It does not bog down to 0 Kb/s transfer speeds like the SanDisk though.

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Fit-USB-30-64GB/Rating/2698

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-100-G3-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1521

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
Midrand

Offline Juggy

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
I guess I should have done my homework though I'm seriously considering returning the SanDisk because it is pretty much unusable.

Yeah, flash drives, SD cards etc are always a case of good research first then buy

Read/write speeds vary considerably across different models.

I can look at my pricelist for Frontosa which has the speeds in a column and suggest something if you'd like?

I generally prefer Corsair or Kingston, sometimes Adata

Offline Juggy

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
Corsair Voyager Slider X2 - 200/90 read/write
Corsair Voyager GS 280/160 read/write
Corsair Voyager GT 250/100 read/write
Adata UE700 200/100 read/write
Kingston Datatraveller Elite G2 180/70 read/write
Kingston HyperX Savage 350/180 read/write

All above are for the 64GB version of the flash drive

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 02:48:53 AM »
Corsair Voyager Slider X2 - 200/90 read/write
Corsair Voyager GS 280/160 read/write
Corsair Voyager GT 250/100 read/write
Adata UE700 200/100 read/write
Kingston Datatraveller Elite G2 180/70 read/write
Kingston HyperX Savage 350/180 read/write

All above are for the 64GB version of the flash drive

Thanks a million. Your help is hugely appreciated. I was really disappointed with my purchase and was at a loss for what to do next.

I've emailed the store saying that the SanDisk is unusable and I'm sure they will swap it for me. I will go with the Kingston HyperX Savage.
Midrand

Offline Juggy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 06:41:01 AM »
Thanks a million. Your help is hugely appreciated. I was really disappointed with my purchase and was at a loss for what to do next.

I've emailed the store saying that the SanDisk is unusable and I'm sure they will swap it for me. I will go with the Kingston HyperX Savage.

It's a pleasure, obviously the faster the pricier so don't get a fright ;)

If the store does want around R1000 or close PM me, I can help as I can buy from the wholesalers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:43:02 AM by Juggy »