Author Topic: Hybrid 12" or 15" full range drivers for open baffle project possible?  (Read 576 times)

Offline 1200GXman

Hi all
Just curious, will it work if one buys these drivers which are rated 150 to 200W and make open baffle speakers with horn tweeters and then rather concentrate on good quality components for the crossover parts?
Want to try open baffle project but don't want to pay a arm and a leg for speakers.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline 1200GXman

Re: Hybrid 12" or 15" full range drivers for open baffle project possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
Ok, lets leave this idea. I saw they have a frequency response range of 42 2800 Hz
No use for full range.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
I'm a bit confused - did you want to do a full range speaker (one driver) or a two -way with a tweeter?

If the latter - (with a horn tweeter) then yes you can if you can get a complementary fit specs wise..

Offline 1200GXman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
You know that project where JimGore used some 15" drivers to make a open baffle setup that I think he send overseas eventually?
Basically a smaller version of something similar.

I am at work so typed quickly before running out of office. Chances are good I was bit confusing with my questions.
Yes, open baffle and a mid range and horn tweeter setup and quality cross over.

While on the full range setup idea. What will happen if I use Pioneer 6" car speakers to make a full range open baffle setup?
Want to try very cheap to see if it is a sound I like or not.

Offline bbe22

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
to see if it is a sound I like or not.
          May I suggest you rather go  listen to a good dipole to establish that , ie Quad , Maggie,  Def tech , etc  there are actually plenty choice in that general format.
          Pioneer 6" car speakers  will sound exactly like Pioneer 6" car speakers 
quality cross over   .... does not quarentee anything 'less you have an  outstanding design to begin with in which case it may or may not
give an incremental  improvement   

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
Every part of a workable design follows certain acoustic principles which define the overall parameters that determines which drivers will work ... or vice versa.. the latter being harder to do and both requiring lots of expertise & knowledge & measuring equipment.

Try a design that is known to work - google open baffle and hybrid open/ closed designs - plenty on the webz.

That said, it's always fun to experiment which is how all new inventions start! :thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:42:01 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline 1200GXman

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
Thanks guys

I did have a chance to listen to Maggies. Was not very loud as I know they can't go very loud and no bass. But the way it sounded whereby the whole wall was music was something VERY different.
Will give it some more thought.

Offline Katji

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »
You really need the fb group "Open baffle only..."  The least expensive drivers that are suitable are some of the Eminence drivers.
Other than that - although everyone - almost everyone - will recommend against it, you could do something with car speakers...one thing that comes to mind is that you need high Xmax, which narrows it down a lot. Some people have used car subwoofers too....if you need serious bass, that's a must - only other way is 2 big woofers each side, not inexpensive.  ....

Offline Noizyboy

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
proper full range driver ...only 8inch though

http://www.pqsound.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_160&products_id=1176

I've got two of these from a while ago - just stuck them into old Sansui bookshelf boxes and they sound nice and clear and open, like they could be really good if employed in the correct way - must more explore options I think. :thumbs:

Offline Juggy

Offline Noizyboy

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Can you get anything bigger?

sorry thats the biggest Visaton has