Author Topic: Bathroom renovation advice - Shower floor challenge  (Read 287 times)

Offline 1200GXman

Bathroom renovation advice - Shower floor challenge
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
Good morning all

Busy with the renovation project of the children's bathroom. It has a bath tub and shower in it. Progress is slow but getting there as I am doing it myself.

Problem: Next on the list is the shower. I need to remove the wall tiles and then the BIG one, clean the shower floor and prepare for the new modern floor tiling to be installed. I found out everything on how to do this when the prep work is done. The prep work is my big challenge. The house was build in the late 70's when it was fashion to use broken tile pieces embedded in the concrete floor of the shower when it was still a wet casting. This is the hardest concrete I have ever come across. I have to chisel out the pieces of broken tiles and then drop the level a bit to accommodate the new tiling to be layed down. How can I do this? I did research and found a grinding cup made by torquecraft which is the same as a diamond cutting disc but not a cutter. More of a grinding cup. Any experience with this type of discs/cups? Will it do the job in grinding the floor down a bit where the knobs will be left?

Basically I want to know if anyone has used this kind of cups and how effective are they in grinding hard concrete.

Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
Re: Bathroom renovation advice - Shower floor challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
The grinding cups are very effective, but it creates more dust than i would be able to survive.

your next option is to rent a floor grinder from a place like talisman or similar place that does wet grinding.
leaving only the corners to do by hand.

third(most common) option is to simply pour self leveling screed over everything and tile over that, lifting the floor level up a bit.
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline 1200GXman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
I am currently grinding the floor anyway as the novilon that was glued on they were not shy with the glue. I could only lift 20% of it off without issues. the rest I used a shovel and shoveled and hit and scraped off as much as possible but it left a small bit still biting. This I am grinding off with some 26grit sanding disc on the grinder. dust mask is a must and resting the grinder is also. poor thing  :OMG:

I will however visit talisman as it is on my way home and hear what they have to offer.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »
Rent a Hilti vacuum, and a small breaker with a wide chisel. Use an angle grinder, and cut slots all over the floor, to the depth you plan on finishing at. Then use the breaker to get you to the level.
You will want to buy a Hilti vacuum afterwards. I covet such a machine....

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »
We recently installed a shower. Two actually. For the in suite the plumbing was there from the previous basin... but elevation was JUST not enough to build it at floor level, so we elevated it about 5cm. (half brick) ... Still looks very nice with a frameless shower

I'm Lazy :whistler: ... I'd do just that.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
When I did my shower, the plumber raised the floor about 200mm so the pipe from the plug-hole gave a good flow.  I also fitted a grate which can be unscrewed for cleaning.  Its astonishing how much grime collects in the piles.  A good clean once a year sorts it out.  Using liquid soap causes far less grease in the pipes than cakes of soap.  When we had teenage girls living here, the biggest problem was their hair
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
Using liquid soap causes far less grease in the pipes than cakes of soap.

A bit O/T, but on that note: if I use solid soap I get a waxy build-up on my face cloth over time. None of that with shower gel.

DON'T PANIC
Capie