Author Topic: True Geddon experiment  (Read 994 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: True Geddon experiment
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
Possibly. But to begin with, you'd need much bigger transformer VA rating. Lenco motor is a current hog in comparison.

The best solution for old idlers is a re-clocked and re-generated AC PSU - like Linn Valhalla or Thorens TD125 built-in PSU.
There are many DIY threads on that. All pretty complicated and relatively expensive.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
Considering that an L75 is to a Sondek as a tractor is to a car... probably not worth it then hehe.. ;)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 10:56:39 PM »
Not necessarily. Put enough effort into L75, it will surprise you. Google Lenco projects, join the Lencoheaven forum...
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
True Geddon experiment
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
Itís a good tractor and you can make it very very good. 
However.  Before sorting itís power supply there is a lot of stuff under the hood to be done. 
Like a new hood.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
Love my Lencos - have been "fettling" them for many years. Have got the servicing and refurbing down to my satisfaction and love the sound they produce with a suitable Linn arm and a nice cart. :thumbs:

Best upgrade for my current one was an imported Audio Silente idler wheel - runs quiet and more stable - highly recommended:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:46:21 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline pwatts

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:35 AM »
A toroid with only a handful of turns is what is found in any Ethernet device. Two for 100Mbps and four for GBit. They won't pass 50Hz awfully well and the slightest of DC screws the pooch (which is why they go differential), but the base design is capable of pretty awesome performance that's more linear than other core types. Interwinding capacitance and inconsistency thereof depending on the wiring can be an issue though, but well beyond the scope of this.

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
Love my Lencos - have been "fettling" them for many years. Have got the servicing and refurbing down to my satisfaction and love the sound they produce with a suitable Linn arm and a nice cart. :thumbs:

Best upgrade for my current one was an imported Audio Silente idler wheel - runs quiet and more stable - highly recommended:

I was going to get a couple of those, until I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-uTe3G1qU

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
I was going to get a couple of those, until I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-uTe3G1qU

Will have a look and post a video of mine in a new thread - apologies to the OP for going off topic! :cleansound:

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Will have a look and post a video of mine in a new thread - apologies to the OP for going off topic! :cleansound:

Yes, apologies to Mike for going off a topic that I don't understand  :nfi:  :flame:

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
 :baseball: :baseball: