Author Topic: New Headphones  (Read 644 times)

Offline Bluefinllama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
New Headphones
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
So I am in the market for new headphones since my current (stock Samson SR850) has been giving me issues - granted it cost me next to nothing and given me 3 years of service already so they have served me well and will become a modding project soon (no longer stock but working). Before these I've mostly had "gamer" headphones. I use a PreSonus Audiobox USB as a DAC / amplifier (not the greatest, I know but I got it for free). I will be using them for everything from gaming, music and movies.

I've been researching everywhere, but can't decide between a few headsets - will be ordering from Amazon (shipped to South Africa). The following is what I've narrowed my selection down to (in order of cost):

Brainwavz HM5 ($109.50 + $32.35 Shipping & Import Fees)
Sennheiser HD 598 SR ($139.95 + $43.40 Shipping & Import Fees)
Fostex T50RP MK3 ($155.19 + $37.76 Shipping & Import Fees)
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 32 ohm ($179.00 + $47.65 Shipping & Import Fees) - these seem amazing, but would prefer a detachable cable, therefore the following was thrown in:
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus ($179.00 + $50.11 Shipping & Import Fees)
Monoprice Monolith M560 ($184.43 + $47.38 Shipping & Import Fees) + MDR-XB500 pad ($22.71 + $13.73) / Brainwavz Hybrid pad ($27.50 + $15.05) - (my ears fit into the SR850's, not sure if I'd need other pads)
Monoprice Monolith M1060 ($299.99 + $73.78 Shipping & Import Fees)

These all seem like value kings in their respective ranges - if for instance the M1060's are really as good as eveyone says I wouldn't mind paying the price for them, I am leaning a bit towards one of the planar sets as they seem very intriguing (the build quality and versatility of the M560's + planar seems very attractive, but does the M1060's truly eclipse them so much sound wise?).

I appreciate any advice!

Online itscraig

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: New Headphones
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »
get them all, you probably will in the end

Offline Bluefinllama

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:25 PM »
Would love to be able to afford them all - unfortunately only 1 pair will be purchased which is why I'm asking advice on which to choose.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:59 PM »

why not buy one of the great 2nd hand deals on sale on the classifieds at the moment?
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline Bluefinllama

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
I took a look at what's available, but the only thing I saw which I might be interested in is the HD650's and I'd need an amp which can drive them - so it wouldn't be in my price range. The Rand is quite strong at the moment, so importing new is not much more expensive than buying used in South Africa.

Offline seeyou

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »
Depends on how much you're actually wanting to spend, and what kind of sound you're after. You've listed a bunch of cans, but not why you're looking at them in particular, if you're after neutral sound, or warm, if you're a bass head, etc.

The Meze 99 Classics I have advertised at the moment for example, it being my own sale aside, are an amazing pair of headphones. Really well balanced across the range, slight tendency towards the warm, with fantastic bass presence. And, really easy to drive, even from a phone. I prefer them to headphones I've heard even twice as expensive or more, because that's the sound signature I'm after. I'm more than pissed that they don't suit me ergonomically. Don't judge by price alone, you'll miss out on a lot of good headphones.

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
From what you describe aas your usage pattern I would suggest the Custom one Pro+.  These are closed back whereas the DT880 are open back so may be a problem for those around you.

You should be able to get from C-Plan on this forum for about R2,700 which is what you will pay from Amazon anyway.  With the advantage of local warranty, immediate availability and you can try them out first.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
Pop in with your PresSonus and a couple of tunes some time ...
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
I own the M1060 and I couldn't recommend them more than I already have. They would be a bargain at R6000 to be honest and if you have the cash, buy them.

I'm sure you are aware of the one caveat that you will not be able to wear these in public at all. And when I say public, I mean "around other human beings." They look absolutely silly on head.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Online capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
I own the M1060 and I couldn't recommend them more than I already have. They would be a bargain at R6000 to be honest and if you have the cash, buy them.

I'm sure you are aware of the one caveat that you will not be able to wear these in public at all. And when I say public, I mean "around other human beings." They look absolutely silly on head.

Maybe that's just YOUR head..!  :ROFLMAO:

Kidding! You have a perfectly lovely head.

Amps: NFB-11.32 [upgraded] - Little Dot MKll [upgraded]
Headphones: HD600 - DT990Pro - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
Maybe that's just YOUR head..! 

Kidding! You have a perfectly lovely head.
Aw shucks... I think.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...