Author Topic: SpaceX heavy launch  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
Re: SpaceX heavy launch
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:57:36 AM »
Very impressive I agree, 3rd stage I cannot find confirmation

Elon, Elon, Elon......

Centre core was lost unfortunately :(

Apparently ran out of fuel and hit the sea at 300MPH 100 meters away from the drone ship

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »
I thought something went wrong. The chick went "Oh!", they gave each other a brief glance and quickly moved on with their commentary.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
I am old enough to recall when the Soviet Union launched Sputnik in 1957.  My father, who was an engineer, drew my attention to it, saying that overnight, science-fiction became science fact.  He had spent several years before the war in New York, working for ICI and it was generally agreed by the top scientists there that launching something into space was quite impossible

Reasons varied between the suggestion that any rocket would break into pieces due to the excessive speed needed, and when it got high enough, the lack of atmospheric pressure would cause the contraption to explode.  But by then, air-travel was well established and many passenger planes had pressurised cabins.

Yet one of these scientists, who had top degrees from an American university, had a father who was President of the Smithsonian Museum, who stated in 1896 that it was impossible for a heavier than air machine to fly since it did not comply with the laws of nature.

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
Hats off to Elon Musk, an amazing achievement, especially the booster rockets coming down to earth. Majestic to watch that.

Here's the video link :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3w5VDRGSQ

On a side note :

Yet one of these scientists, who had top degrees from an American university, had a father who was President of the Smithsonian Museum, who stated in 1896 that it was impossible for a heavier than air machine to fly since it did not comply with the laws of nature.

And this still applies today even in our hobby. Go figure!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:36:22 AM by AlleyCat »
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
And this still applies today even in our hobby. Go figure!
Especially in our hobby, daily. Scientific progress stopped at I=V/R. Nothing else left to be discovered.
We depend on passionate entrepreneurs like Elon Musk for tangible progress and he has been doing that with great success.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Amusingly, I'm about to go and lecture in Minerals Processing where some of the equipment used still resembles the wood block prints from Agricola's 'De Re Metallica' published in the 16th Century.  The other interesting thing about Agricola's textbook is that (assuming that the Hoovers ie. the former US president and his multilingual wife were correct in their translation) most of it still is true today (although the fruity language eg. 'the gold doth verily leap from the chert' can be frustrating at times) - I also like to point out the distinct lack of safety equipment in the pictures....

The 'Golden Fleece' from Greek mythology was likely a fleece being used to trap gold on a sluice.  Same technology used in gold rushes up to the early 20th century mostly changed only by having moulded riffles in the base of a sluice today!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
Amusingly, I'm about to go and lecture in Minerals Processing ...
Make sure you bring back some "samples" ... (I'll try affix them to cantilevers)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
....and not one of the students had seen the launch.  If the future engineers are not interested (and it is only the first week of lectures), it kind of makes you think 'what's the point?'   :headbanger:
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
....and not one of the students had seen the launch.  If the future engineers are not interested (and it is only the first week of lectures), it kind of makes you think 'what's the point?'   :headbanger:
Totally understandable, have you even seen the number of those amazing "bathing the cat" or "talking dog" videos on youtube!?

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
Students are also clueless to the achievements and capabilities of the local industries, not realising that they themselves may have to break new ground  some day. It's really not their fault: we are too modest about our achievements.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Anyone who watched that and wasn't grinning ear to ear is dead inside.

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
Anyone who watched that and wasn't grinning ear to ear is dead inside.

I agree - it certainly felt like progress, and really had wide awake and grinning, at a time I'm normally nodding off!

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Some awesome photos doing there rounds.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?