Personal Import of a new Amp, stalled by Customs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am hoping that some of you will know how/whether this problem can be fixed!

I ordered an Amphony microFidelity Audio Amplifier, Model 200 Black from Amazon US,  on Jan 12th .. it had a couple of good reviews & the actual item was priced at R893.62 ... thought it was worth a shot since it would drive a couple of bookshelf amps comfortably, fed by a Squeezebox Touch.

Arrived in SA (via Postbox Courier) on Jan 25th & was promptly passed by Customs to the NRCS for inspection!!!  Naturally, the Inspector has not yet looked at it & is currently uncontactable, although the Postbox guys are trying their best.

My main question is this; why on earth would the NRCS be interested?? I am not buying this for resale, so the market would not be flooded with potentially "unregulated" or "dangerous" electronic goods - it is entirely for personal use. In any case, how would any of us in SA ever find out whether a product which (altho' obviously made in China) is sold throughout the EU & the USA, can be imported without breaking regulations?? Where are the regulations listed, what products ARE OK & which are NOT and why on earth does an individual need to know them anyway? Clearly if a business imports a number, there would be a whole procedure but for individuals????

Second question of course is; if they reject the damn thing, then what happens?? Do I have any recourse (other than to the Public Protector) & could I appeal an Inspector's decision??

Thanks for any input in advance ..

Andrew