Author Topic: Desalination - Would you drink this water?  (Read 1385 times)

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Desalination - Would you drink this water?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
Rather use the desalinated water for everything else and buy bottled or sodas for drinking.  In Corfu there is no way you can drink the water due to the sulphur levels (smells like bad eggs) but it is safe.  Just use bottled for consumption
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »
I see everyone has a phd in water management sciences.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »
Iím currently supervising a PhD in sanitation, just graduated 3 MSc students in sanitation (two in ultrafiltration and FO/RO) and am interviewing two positions at PhD and one at MSc next week.  Oh, and have five recent papers and three more on the go in non-standard sanitation (ie.  All of this is off grid/alternate systems).  So no, no idea at all :EGrin:
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline AudioRecycle

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
They are building a desalination plant at Monwabisi beach as well. 4km from  To close for my comfort to the Kayalitsha waist water treatment plant outflow into Falsebay. That whole are pongs.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 03:31:14 AM »
I see everyone has a phd in water management sciences.

Iím currently supervising a PhD in sanitation, just graduated 3 MSc students in sanitation (two in ultrafiltration and FO/RO) and am interviewing two positions at PhD and one at MSc next week.  Oh, and have five recent papers and three more on the go in non-standard sanitation (ie.  All of this is off grid/alternate systems).  So no, no idea at all :EGrin:

Epic Burn!  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Epic Burn! 
Not a burn doe. But I suspect you're gona have to move to Cape Town then.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »
Not a burn doe. But I suspect you're gona have to move to Cape Town then.

Nope, you got pwned, as the youngsters say.

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
I'm a youngster.
It's not a burn.
*facepalm*

1) slang: to disrespect someone (to diss); to make fun of someone; used by a third party after a first party makes fun of a second party.

By merely stating he has a phd does not make it a burn.

You learn something every day
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:59:22 AM by AlienLlama »

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
Didn't state I had a PhD (although I do, and a Masters and UG), just that I am supervising projects in alternative sanitation and believe me, if the UF, NF and FO/RO membranes are working they can take a heck of a lot out (at an ionic level).  Combine with some pathogen killing/removal (for the smallest) and you can drink it but it may not taste great.  Certainly fine for cooking with but for drinking I'd rather go with spring water sources than desalinated.

My part in all this is a small portion of an overall multimillion dollar global project to provide sanitation in areas with no current possibility of connection to mainstream sewage services (about 2.4 billion people although estimates vary).  The technology for the liquid side of things happens to be the same as desalination plants.  So TL:DR, delineated water is safe regardless of where it draws the feed from, just not that tasty.

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »
Okay you're clearly an expert. What's the main reason for this crisis? Bad management? Bad policies? Climate change?  A fluke?

Offline vleisman

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
Most municipal water has passed through a lot of people's bodies already so the desalination process shouldn't be any different as far as final quality is concerned.  All sewage treatment works have to remove the solids, including used condoms, paper, shite and the rest, kill pathogens, and ensure water quality.  Sea water with household chemicals or turds and household chemicals - either can be treated

I think after reading this I'll stick to beer (or wine, or Whisky, or Whiskey, or Gin).

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
I heard that desalination is bad for the sea life though. In a radio interview the "expert" said that the saline water, that is left over once the clean water is removed, is a gel-like substance. It drops to the bottom of the ocean and does not dissolve and mix with the sea water easily again. Because of the high salt content it kills everything it comes in contact with.
Not sure how true this is though.

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
^^^ I wonder if there is any way to recover the removed salt for industrial or domestic use.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline BWS

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
I think after reading this I'll stick to beer (or wine, or Whisky, or Whiskey, or Gin).

Or all of the above
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
I think after reading this I'll stick to beer ...
Stick to Namibian imports so that you help preserve the precious SA water resources. Drink imported, pee localy.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis