Author Topic: Desalination - Would you drink this water?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Desalination - Would you drink this water?
« on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
Somewhere on News24 I read something re the safety of desalination at Strandfontein beach. Apparently a lone voice are speaking out about the pollutants found in this sea water. In the past, while fishing there, I discovered this stretch of beach is one of the most polluted beaches. The person writing about the problem listed household chemicals, I have seen people living nearby are throwing all kinds of unspeakable trash - liquid and solids into the ocean.

Why did these City incompetents locate the plant there? Because they are stupid and don't care a damn??

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Desalination - Would you drink this water?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
Both!
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
Somewhere on News24 I read something re the safety of desalination at Strandfontein beach. Apparently a lone voice are speaking out about the pollutants found in this sea water. In the past, while fishing there, I discovered this stretch of beach is one of the most polluted beaches. The person writing about the problem listed household chemicals, I have seen people living nearby are throwing all kinds of unspeakable trash - liquid and solids into the ocean.

Why did these City incompetents locate the plant there? Because they are stupid and don't care a damn??

skollie

I'm not sure it really matters where they put the plant considering how many impurities can be removed from the water using proper filtration, treatmenmt and UV systems.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
All seawater contains contaminants.  The plant at Ashkenol in Israel has to employ quite severe filtration and an additive to make the water taste good. It still works 100% though.  Therefore, it does not matter where the plant is located

Far too much BS going around re the water.  All these armchair experts spouting forth
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »

having seen the mess news24 made with a story of which i lnow some background i would be inclined to apply a liberal pinch of salt to anything i read there.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Toxxyc

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:29:09 PM »
If these desalanisation plants work like I think they would, you should keep in mind that often the water is made *too* clean.  Literally.  They have to return minerals back into it, or it's not fit for continuous drinking.

Offline Stereoid

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
I will drink it for the short to medium term. The output from an RO system is essentially demineralised water. It should now be UV treated and passed back through a limestone filter to remineralise it. That's the kind of system we fit to our yachts and it produces Evian rivaling water. Only time will tell if the City will go to such great lengths. Keep in mind the human body adapts well to sh***y inputs, just look back at our Uni years...

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Desalinated and treated water is more pure than the normal water from the dams which also has to be treated to remove ground and agricultural pollutants.

Hysterical "news mongers" like News24 should just calm down now.

My family grew up on Karoo farm spring water - very brackish and high in all kinds of minerals and who knows what - instead of dying they flourished and had excellent teeth to boot!

Latest news:

"City of Cape Town secures 67 million litres of water per day from The Palmiet-Kogelberg dam near Grabouw, which will be transferred to the City from February 1 to push back Day Zero. The Palmiet-Kogelberg dam near Grabouw is completely full."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:19:00 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
Windhoek has been recycling purified and treated sewage water for ages - has a slight pong from dissolved gasses but you get used to it.. :giggle:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
Most municipal water has passed through a lot of people's bodies already so the desalination process shouldn't be any different as far as final quality is concerned.  All sewage treatment works have to remove the solids, including used condoms, paper, shite and the rest, kill pathogens, and ensure water quality.  Sea water with household chemicals or turds and household chemicals - either can be treated
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Larry

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
I'm not sure it really matters where they put the plant considering how many impurities can be removed from the water using proper filtration, treatmenmt and UV systems.

Juggy is dead right, proper ultrafiltration can actually filter out bacteria and viruses rather than just killing it with chemicals.

Desalination would just be part of the process.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Juggy is dead right, proper ultrafiltration can actually filter out bacteria and viruses rather than just killing it with chemicals.

Desalination would just be part of the process.

We're about to start filtering and purifying our wellpoint water which is quite high in calcium/scale. Just waiting for the sample to be returned from testing and then we can go ahead.

Hopefully there is no large amount of iron in the water, that can get quite costly to remove depending on how much manual labour you're prepared to put in.

Offline Stereoid

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
We're about to start filtering and purifying our wellpoint water which is quite high in calcium/scale. Just waiting for the sample to be returned from testing and then we can go ahead.

Hopefully there is no large amount of iron in the water, that can get quite costly to remove depending on how much manual labour you're prepared to put in.

Buy lots of cheap Dixon subs. Route a 12" PVC pipe from your borehole pre-filtration. Mount subs to exterior of PVC pipe and voila - magnetic separation.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
Used in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and the islands around Thailand

Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Online pwatts

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »
Having spent a fair amount of time in Israel I can attest that the water is brak as hell, at least in the Tel Aviv region. You keep wanting to drink more without quenching the thirst as expected (same effect almost as cranking up the volume on compressed audio). Last time I visited I gallantly packed a Brita in my suitcase, to no effect. Takes a good 10 days or so to get used to the taste.