Author Topic: South African Audio Shows?  (Read 5764 times)

Offline JamesB

Re: South African Audio Shows?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
Have been somewhat regular going to the monthly vinyl fairs (no entrance fee) in and around JHB/PTA since start of the year and foot traffic is light but decent.  Now last July, wife and I went to the Joburg Record Fair at Dunkeld Bowls Club and lo and behold, it was packed.  About 2/3 of the vendors were familiar faces from the regular entrance-free monthly vinyl fairs but this time we had to deal with a crowd and pay an entrance fee.  I was joking with some of the vendors that maybe they should charge entrance fees at the regular fairs and maybe they'd draw up similar sized crowds...

Anyways, my point being - I never thought I'd see crowds at a vinyl fair, more so one with an entrance fee, so who knows, with a clear vision, a lot of guts and some creativity, maybe the time is almost ripe for a HiFi show resurgence.

...  :2c:, maybe it mustn't be grand and national to start off but rather intimate and localized, but an event nonetheless, and maybe the 1st and foremost goal is to drum up interest rather than sell equipment off the floor  :nfi:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
^^^ It will be interesting to get feedback from Jeandre as to the numbers that attend his launch & demo tomorrow.

I will pop through in the morning, I'm keen to experience the sheer impact of a 16KW system, and that 6KW sub should shake my innards nicely.  :clap:
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline naughty

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 04:47:30 PM »
Have been somewhat regular going to the monthly vinyl fairs (no entrance fee) in and around JHB/PTA since start of the year and foot traffic is light but decent.  Now last July, wife and I went to the Joburg Record Fair at Dunkeld Bowls Club and lo and behold, it was packed.  About 2/3 of the vendors were familiar faces from the regular entrance-free monthly vinyl fairs but this time we had to deal with a crowd and pay an entrance fee.  I was joking with some of the vendors that maybe they should charge entrance fees at the regular fairs and maybe they'd draw up similar sized crowds...

Anyways, my point being - I never thought I'd see crowds at a vinyl fair, more so one with an entrance fee, so who knows, with a clear vision, a lot of guts and some creativity, maybe the time is almost ripe for a HiFi show resurgence.

...  :2c:, maybe it mustn't be grand and national to start off but rather intimate and localized, but an event nonetheless, and maybe the 1st and foremost goal is to drum up interest rather than sell equipment off the floor :nfi:

regarding that bit highlighted in red ..... it might be difficult to convince dealers and suppliers to then participate because whats in it for them ie they wont just spend money in setup costs and demo equipment plus traveling charges for them and employees to just make nothing from an event or just to awaken interest for a few people who are bored and want a show

and trust me to drum up interest its going to take an event of decent magnitude to bring people in (which implies spending big money to create the event) - otherwise its just going to be an empty event of the type that caused the death knell of these type of events

Offline JamesB

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »
regarding that bit highlighted in red ..... it might be difficult to convince dealers and suppliers to then participate because whats in it for them ie they wont just spend money in setup costs and demo equipment plus traveling charges for them and employees to just make nothing from an event or just to awaken interest for a few people who are bored and want a show

and trust me to drum up interest its going to take an event of decent magnitude to bring people in (which implies spending big money to create the event) - otherwise its just going to be an empty event of the type that caused the death knell of these type of events

Actually just trying to think out of the box and throw some ideas out there in hopes that one day 1 brilliant person finally makes sense out of all the ideas thrown around and stages a successful HiFi show here in SA  :dop:

Also highlighted statement not entirely true, I know of a HiFi distributor that has gone around a few malls and country clubs this year, and judging from their booth it was not so much to do a quick sale (although one can never complain about that) but I think more for the brand awareness as you couldn't really demo anything on the spot but they would invite you to visit their showroom instead.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+158)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
The CT Hi-Fi Club have done a bit of homework regarding an audio show

A big problem is that the major dealers are in Jhb and it costs plenty to bring equipment down, stay in a hotel for 3 or 4 days, hire a car, etc.   You are looking at R50k expenses minimum.  And there would be at least 2 people
The advertising appears to cost as much as a hotel
Strangely, the Mount Nelson Hotel offers not exhorbitant rates.  Very little more than a fleabag hotel like the Formula One where you can hire rooms by the hour (so I believe from heresay)

The most helpful enterprise so far has been Trivago

If you hire 15 rooms for 3 days and the hotel have to empty the room beforehand, this varies from R 120 000 for Lagoon Beach Hotel to R85 000 for the Harbour Bridge

It all must be paid for, but how?

Best is a fixed fee for dealers and a nominal fee for casual visitors, much like the CCITT levy

Lots of homework needed
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:49:21 PM by chrisc »
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
I really hope something like this is possible.
I think it is high time we have this again in SA.

Offline JeandreB

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Furutech - Pure Transmission
    • The Audio Visual Boutique
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
...it appears that the only feasible way forward would be to look at JHB as a venue....
Jeandre

"Free you mind...Free your sensesTM"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAudioVisualBoutique

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theaudiovisualboutique/

Offline Spurge

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:40 AM »
Why go national in Jhb?

Rather go regional with dealers.

Smaller venues with fewer logistics. Cape & Jhb & Dbn ??

It is not that big and comprehensive, but is something rather than nothing.