A noob's journey

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesrobb

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow forumites,

I've been lurking on this forum for a fairly long time and thought that it might be time to introduce myself. I'm from Durban and only fairly recently (~2 years ago) got into this crazy hobby. My first experience with proper audio kit was listening to OliverRC's B&W 68x home theatre setup. I wasn't immediately hooked and didn't take much of an interest until a few years later when I was buying my first house. I decided that a proper audio setup might be nice to go with the new place.

I looked at many speakers before deciding on a decent 2 channel setup just to get started. Oliver and I then demo'd some Paradigms and a pair of Kef LS50's. After hearing the Kef's I was hooked and bought a pair from Remedytec with a set of Atacama stands (thanks Judy!). Around the same time a also picked up a Linn Majik sub from Hilton who was selling it on the forum at the time. The final item was an Integra DTR 50.3 AV receiver that I picked up from Craigis also thanks to the forum. All cables are Mogami and I bought them from designbymax.

Even though it was a bit of a system building exercise I must say that I am really happy with the sound. I have spent much time tuning it to get it just the way I like and have finally reached a point where I am very happy with the way it sounds.

For cable management I managed to get some D-Line trunking and had to stain it (lots of trail and error) to match the laminate flooring. This was a great way to hide cables as you'll see in the pics.

Current sources are an Apple TV 4k and a PS4

Here are a few pics:

Front View (trunking is in front of skirting boards under the TV)
Dc00EJd.jpg

DIY'd AV rack in background hidden under my strangely shaped staircase
wNgF08C.jpg

Close up with sub in the back ground (this is next to the couch directly opposite the AV rack)
QOVPc4u.jpg

Linn Sub
alaOaZT.jpg

Trunking closed
T5bNQtT.jpg

Trunking open
lv1ZB29.jpg

So the main reason I decided to get off my lazy a** and post something is that I got a bunch of new kit on the way and I thought it might be nice to share from the very beginning before posting the new stuff.

Thanks for the great forum, it is a friendly place and a wealth of knowledge... and expensive stuff!

Latest posts