MiniDSP (Dirac Live vs REW)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyCLown

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hey all!

So I have been toying with the idea of getting a DSP for quite a while now and am taking a more serious look into it and trying to decide which route to go as they have plenty of options.

I feel as if I will give the normal MiniDSP a skip, I am specifically looking at the MiniDSP HD range (be it the 2x4HD or 4x10HD) and their AVR range. Some of these products have Dirac support as well or can be upgraded to what is essentially their Dirac version.

Now this is where I am getting a bit stuck and am asking for a bit of assistance. From what I can tel it appears as if Dirac is more of an automated process, like when using Audyssey's and the auto room correction & speaker correction. Where the others give you the option to make use of REW and export the targets and such as biquad or whatever it is called.

Now one thing which they really seem to flaunt with Dirac is the impulse correction. However would this not be possible with one of the MiniDSP HD's?
How would one go about impulse correction in terms of DSP? They refer to it as time correction, which makes me think of time alignments / phase alignment.

Here is a little image which they have on their site:

ht-series-impulse-response.png

Am I missing something with regards to the impulse correction? Is it just marketing and this can be achieved with one of the MiniDSP units without the Dirac Live software?

Regards,
Psy

Latest posts