EL84 amp concept

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Sid

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I initially bought the non-functioning EL84 amp (below) from sergiochinelli to play around with different valve circuits. But the longer I've been looking at it in my workshop the more I've felt that that beautiful (dare I say it) vintage Engel and Partridge iron deserves pride of place.

IMG_4712.jpg

So I will use the chassis as it is now for the testbed, getting the amp to sound as good as it can. But I really want a new chassis once that's done. I want to have something different from the standard flat, valves-in-front, transformers-at-the-back chassis. I've seen some pics of big old amps (usually cinema/broadcast etc) that are vertically arranged, and that got me thinking. This is where I ended up:

vg8ffAo.jpg

I have looked around, and it seems that most valves are happy to be on their sides (although some need a specific orientation). I think cooling won't be a problem as the flow of air won't be impeded. One negative is that the signal wires will make quite long runs to the selector, volume and then pre stage, but I'm sure that can be managed with careful screening and layout. Also it won't be the cheapest easiest chassis to make.  But I think it will look quite cool! I'd please like any comments criticism etc on this concept.

(Discussion here on the electrical aspects of this amp)