Digital basics - wtf

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since the (probable) demise of my Maggie venture, I am trying to establish a new direction. I am considering a music-only setup in my sitting room. To succeed in convincing the legal department, it needs to have a small (negligible) presence. This means the absolute minimum of kit, so I'm thinking of going digital.

At least one vital piece of knowledge is missing. If I have a WAV or similar file on an electronic device, how do I get a decent signal into my amplifier? As far as I understand (3 nanometres) the outputs from an Iphone, other cellphone, laptop, etc. are all already converted to analog via some crappy internal DAC. So how do I get the bitstream out of one of them into a decent DAC? I'm trying to not have a CD player because I think a DAC is a lot smaller.

I have wandered around the various forums looking for direction until I woke up curled up in some dusty corner somewhere covered in rat shit. If I missed it, pray tell.