Author Topic: DIY brandy / gin / rum --distillique.co.za  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Toxxyc

Re: DIY brandy / gin / rum --distillique.co.za
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »
By the way, if anyone has a still they're not using and they wanna get rid of it - let me know.  I'm always game :D

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
Actually found this still at a farm sale.  Huge shed full of junk, it was lying there, filthy.  Seeing it was copper, the auctioneer weighed it and asked me for R120.  Upon cleaning it off, there is Receiver of Revenue plate soldered on.  Slightly dented, I soldered on a coiled spout

Next time I am there I will take some pics.   Its very easy to prepare the liqueur.   You cannot sell it since the alcohol is subject to tax.   The lab at Robertson Winery have litmus paper you can dip in to determine the proportion of alcohol.   The first batch was 22%, last year's was 39%.   The 2019 batch comes in next week.  There was a bumper harvest this time due to the heat
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Toxxyc

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
Actually found this still at a farm sale.  Huge shed full of junk, it was lying there, filthy.  Seeing it was copper, the auctioneer weighed it and asked me for R120.  Upon cleaning it off, there is Receiver of Revenue plate soldered on.  Slightly dented, I soldered on a coiled spout

Next time I am there I will take some pics.   Its very easy to prepare the liqueur.   You cannot sell it since the alcohol is subject to tax.   The lab at Robertson Winery have litmus paper you can dip in to determine the proportion of alcohol.   The first batch was 22%, last year's was 39%.   The 2019 batch comes in next week.  There was a bumper harvest this time due to the heat

If you mount a thermometer in the top of the still's column you should be able to control the ABV a lot better, and you can get rid of the dangerous (poisonous) foreshots.  There are certain temperatures and methods to follow, but I guess you know that by now :P

Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to determine alcohol content.  You can by alcohol hydrometers that should give you a great idea of what you're distilling at, and if you can reliably replicate results you can start going for double and even triple distillations before watering down or backsweetening.  You should end up with all kinds of cool different drinks then!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Don't want to get all scientific about it.  The idea would not have started unless I had not found this still.   Just after I had paid the man, another farmer came up to my brother in law (whose Afrikaans is much better than mine) and started to tell him enthusiastically how to make apricot liqueur.

We are much busier making wine.  This year 630 bottles of Shiraz which was bottled in December and will be available soon.  Its all good fun.  Every year prices go up.  The corks cost more than the bottles can you believe
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Toxxyc

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »
Yeah cork is becoming crazy expensive, and not really environmentally friendly.  Plastic corks are cheaper, but screw tops are winners.  It's a bummer swingtops are so hellishly expensive :(