Author Topic: Alpha Arena turntable made by Lenco  (Read 4504 times)

Online ramonw

Re: Alpha Arena turntable made by Lenco
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »
yes indeed pics to follow soon
I will take a look at the cart today, Are there any tell tale clues I can look for, I tried to unscrew the goodie that holds the cart on, cam loose but nothing else came off.
Tell me what is the slider for underneath the tonearm? I see these on all the pics on line but mine doesn't have this.

If I understand correctly All I need to do is get an appropriate? stylus , but how do I know if it will fit my cart?
can I use a stylus from another TT ? I have another sansui p50TT which needs only a belt. Not sure if that's  ok to test with. :nfi:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
yes indeed pics to follow soon
I will take a look at the cart today, Are there any tell tale clues I can look for, I tried to unscrew the goodie that holds the cart on, cam loose but nothing else came off.
Tell me what is the slider for underneath the tonearm? I see these on all the pics on line but mine doesn't have this.

If I understand correctly All I need to do is get an appropriate? stylus , but how do I know if it will fit my cart?
can I use a stylus from another TT ? I have another sansui p50TT which needs only a belt. Not sure if that's  ok to test with. :nfi:

The slider is for setting anti skating on some models for ultra low tracking force carts - not needed on your tonearm with a normal cart.
Not sure but your TT could be the model B52 (like the bomber!) but basically the same as the B55.

Post a picture or two of your cart so we can identify it as you will need the specific make and model to get the right stylus. Styli from other carts won't fit unfortunately. I'll pm you my email for pics if you have problems posting them via Postimage.org - let me know.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
^^
As mentioned above - the Lenco B52 does without the anti skating slider:

Online ramonw

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
Emails with some pics sent. Did you receive them ?

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
Emails with some pics sent. Did you receive them ?

Yes thanks - got them - will post them here a bit later if it's ok? Then the guys can see what the patient looks like.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »
Pics from Ramon - first the typical garage find covered in dust - then the cleanup started second..

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
It looks as though that counter weight was lost recently.
Nice project!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:53:44 PM by HBAutomation »
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
I think I have some weights for that.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
I think I have some weights for that.

Fantastic - was hoping someone could help him out! Think he also needs the rubber platter mat or similar.

Online ramonw

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
Man you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Wes, you are a rocks  star!

This feels like all the restoration threads ive read on here except I have no idea what I am doing :whistler:
Mahleu that's fantastic, let me know what the cost is ? Are you in jhb?

I am curious to know how to tell if I need to replace my cart, I will upload pics tomorrow to show what is currently on there.
should I get the stylus in the meantime just to test, what about alignment etc?

Looks like this is gonna be an exciting journey :O0:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
Aww shucks thanks..   Always fiddling with turntables so I enjoy seeing another one coming back from the dead. :thumbs:

Hard to say about the cart - You can measure the coils with a multimeter. See if there is continuity across the two pins of the left and right channels respectively. Make a note of how the wiring in the headshell is connected first so that you can connect it back correctly (not all carts have their pin outs at the back of the cart arranged in the same pattern. The wires (and pins sometimes) are colour coded (or marked with L & R symbols):

So measure red/green for the right channel and white/blue for the left channel. If there is continuity then the cart should be fine, you can then try and source the matching stylus. If the cart is dead you will have to get another cart.

Final alignment best wait till you have everything sorted - for now just mount the cart square with the front edge of the headshell and about in the middle. You will have to borrow or buy a tracking weight scale so you can position the counterweight for correct tracking weight as the tonearm has very basic markings for weight adjustment.
Once everything is running perfectly and you have it playing with sound you can tackle the fine tuning.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
Ramonw sent me these pics of his cart that needs a stylus - can anyone identify the cart or even help with what stylus is needed please?

Cross posted this in the Vinyl section.

PS. Ramon, you can get that brown air polution sticky stuff off using a combination of a solvent like alcohol or maybe meths or Clean Green or even some dishwashing liquid in warm water on a cloth.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:37:56 AM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Online ramonw

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Thanks for posting Wes, yes I am getting all the materials I will need to do a nice deep clean.

I have noticed that the tone arm seems a bit loose where it connects to the base , there is a lot of play there.
Not sure if this is normal and maybe once the counterweight is on it will improve.

Also sent  a request to henry @ lantis to see if he can identify the cart and proper stylus for this table.
I am holding thumbs

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
I have noticed that the tone arm seems a bit loose where it connects to the base , there is a lot of play there.
Not sure if this is normal and maybe once the counterweight is on it will improve.

Yep, the tonearm has a so-called "knife edge" pivot which is stabilised by the weight. You can slide off that square metal covering to clean the pivot grooves and inspect and clean the "knife edges". Clean and polish off any rust on them. Wipe with a little oil on a lappie or earbud.

Online ramonw

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
So I got a reply from lantis and they do not have a matching stylus for this cart.
I was advised that the Audio Technica cart and stylus combo will work on this machine.

http://lantis.co.za/ocols/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Audio-Technica ATN 90 91 ATN90/91 ATN3600L Cartridge CK100

Wes, I think this is the one you suggested initially, now just to source a counterweight :thinking: