Author Topic: Alpha Arena turntable made by Lenco  (Read 4026 times)

Offline ramonw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Alpha Arena turntable made by Lenco
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
Good morning Gents

I pulled out an old turntable that has been in storage for many years. It is an alpha arena A52 and has "made by Lenco in Switzerland" on the plinth.
I will try and upload pics once I figure out how, it is in rough shape though. I am curious to know if anyone knows ANYTHING about these?
Also who can I take it to for an opinion on the cost/possibility of repairs? :nfi:

To give you some context check the below link which shows the amp which came with the turntable.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/arena_alpha_t_2100t210.html

Any info will be appreciated.

Ramon

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Alpha Arena turntable made by Lenco
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Interesting - usually it's a re-badged Lenco B55 (with speed selector front right) or an L75 in the more expensive options (speed selector front left).

Post/ upload pictures at www.postimage.org then click on the copy icon to the right of the "Hotlink for Forums" provided and paste (mouse right click - paste) into a new reply in this thread. (Or smartphone equivalents if using phone)

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
Wow Dubya Jay Dee !!!! did a quick google search and you are right. It seems it is the B55  as you said. :thumbs:

Will upload pics soon, It looks mostly intact compared to the google images. Below is a random pic from the interwebs.
This is fascinating stuff ! When I was in primary school I used to pretend I was a hip hop DJ and used to scratch an old Carol King LP on this turntable while my friend freestyled on the side :groovy: :giggle: Good times!!
Wonder if a restoration job is in order here  :nfi:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649212593-vintage-lenco-b55-turntable-in-excellent-condition/images/1017935/

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
Restoration is very much an option if the motor still runs. The rest of the bits and pieces can usually be obtained if missing or broken.

Let me know if you need something, I might have the odd part lying around. :thumbs:

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
Thank you for that, I will post here about my progress.
 I am now quite excited about this project now as they seem like very well made gear :clap:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

Yes, very durable and rewarding to get back to good working condition - makes good music!

Here is my one that is halfway there..

Edit: It seems that the Postimage "Hotlinks for Forums" is not working - but "Thumbnails for Forums" is!

Click on picture to see the full size one.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:22:40 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
Wow, that's so pretty :notworthy:  is that a specific platter for this TT and what is it made of?
I do notice that mine is missing that counterweight on the arm.  :facepalm:
Where would I source a stylus for something this old? Ebay ?

I am going to test it to see if the motor works tonight and take it from there.

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »
What still needs to be done on yours >?

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
You can get some styli or a new cartridge from Lantis: (The Audio Technica AT-91 or AT95 carts work well.)

http://lantis.co.za/ocols/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_344

They also stock platter mats - I have a cork/rubber one on top of the stock platter.

I don't know if I have a spare counterweight - will have a look.

The counterweight weighs about 127 Grammes (according to the kitchen scale :giggle:) - one should be able to have one made with a locking thumbscrew to adjust it for correct tracking weight for cartridge used.

My one still needs a cartridge and some paint touch ups on the top plate and maybe a cover of some sort.

Oh , and the aluminium arm tube looks a bit corroded - must find a way to "renew" it somehow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:29:15 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »

This is the L75 I use in my main system:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
NB - when you try it out - If the platter doesn't turn it usually is because the idler wheel spring that pulls the drive wheel up onto the bottom of the platter has stretched a bit, or the spindle needs lubrication or a combination.

Take the platter off (pull up on the platter and give the spindle a small tap) - confirm that the motor is spinning -give the idler wheel rubber a good clean with a damp cloth. Also clean the underside of the platter.

If the platter spindle is not turning freely, unloosen the locking screw from underneath the plinth on the side of the spindle housing (bearing), then pull out the spindle from above making sure not to lose the steel ball bearing ball at the bottom - clean the bearing and spindle out, put some light machine oil in and reassemble.

If the platter is still not turning steadily or is slow to start it's usually the case that the spring has stretched with time - shorten it a bit till the platter starts and turns reliably. Should be up to speed in about two turns or less.

Lots of great info on the Lencoheaven forum:   https://www.lencoheaven.net/

L75 Motor Lubrication Procdure - should be the same for the B55:       

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sqnmrp9cki5l12o8pcrs2khim7&topic=2087.0

DON"T LOSE THAT CIRCLIP!! (Trust me, I have!)

L75 Platter bearing maintenance - similar for B55

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sqnmrp9cki5l12o8pcrs2khim7&topic=2022.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:18:05 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
Thanks so much  for the advice, and I seen that clip you talk about, I also notice the wheel underneath that turns the platter.
I don't have a lot of experience with these but my desire to get it working again is so strong.

One question, the power cord and the RCA cables were cut off .
Now can I just put a plug on the power cables to test it or will that cause any issues ?
Cant wait to get home to start cleaning her up :groovy:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »

One question, the power cord and the RCA cables were cut off .
Now can I just put a plug on the power cables to test it or will that cause any issues ?
Cant wait to get home to start cleaning her up :groovy:

Yep, just put a new plug on - any local machine should be 220 - 240 V ac.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:39:03 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline ramonw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »
Hi Dubya

Great news is that the turntable still spins fine and all the speed settings seem to work :2thumbs:
I had some fun cleaning it up last night and I have been thinking about the restoration process.

The cartridge on the arm seems intact and only a stylus missing as well as the counterweight.
do these cartridges last or should I just get the cart and stylus ?

thinking of how to bring the wood back to life, what did you do with yours to get it looking like that ?
That l75 is totally stunning, great work!!

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »

Thanks -  great news that it spins - now the fun starts!

I was able to scrub off the old finish on the plinth with steel wool and methylated spirits - glued down some of the veneer that had lifted - filled in a couple of spots and dings, lightly sanded with fine grit paper and then applied several coats of ebony (black) stain followed by three coats of Woodoc no 10 varnish. Took my time so that things could dry out between coats. Be careful when sanding as it is very easy to sand through the veneer - mine's not perfect but the stain and varnish hides my sins! :whistler:

Old carts generally last very well so see first if you can source the correct stylus, otherwise a new cart will be needed. Which cart is on there at the moment, can you see?

Had a look to see if I had a spare counterweight.. but unfortunately couldn't  find any sorry. Maybe someone else on the forum can help?

Post some pictures if you can - we love a good restoration project!