Author Topic: So what do you actually listen for in a DAC?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: So what do you actually listen for in a DAC?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
My ARES DAC got taken out by a severe lightning strike last week (as well as R25k of other stuff) so I was thinking of the Denafrips PONTUS DAC as a replacement.  Its $2200 from Vinshine in Singapore and this includes shipping.  Its a R2R NOS DAC

I am always willing to listen to suggestions.  If there was a Viviere on offer, I would buy it tomorrow,  RJ swears by his Schitt Yggradisl
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Just go ahead and panic.
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
^^^ Sorry to hear about your Ares.

Francois/AA is selling a Vivere:
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,69765.0.html

I'm sure Pontus is very good but like you said $2200 almost puts you in Yggdrasil price bracket.
Other R2R options:
I have an Aqua La Voce which is also in that price range.
For a little less there is also the Soekris 1541.

RE sound quality I can only speak for the Aqua, which I love (true PCM1704/NOS design).

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 10:27:58 PM »
My ARES DAC got taken out by a severe lightning strike last week (as well as R25k of other stuff) so I was thinking of the Denafrips PONTUS DAC as a replacement.  Its $2200 from Vinshine in Singapore and this includes shipping.  Its a R2R NOS DAC

I am always willing to listen to suggestions.  If there was a Viviere on offer, I would buy it tomorrow,  RJ swears by his Schitt Yggradisl
Here you go Chris: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,69765.0.html

Edit: I see Nidri got there well before me  :be:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:42:58 PM by Wolla »
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Acer Notebook > Audioquest Dragonfly Red > HK GLA55
HP: Audeze iSine 10, LG V20 & V30, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
Does anyone on the forum own the Schiit Bifrost multibit - opinions?

From their description it sounds like it uses the same closed form filtering as the Yggdrasil?

Offline seeyou

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »

Why not get another ARES? Upgradeitis?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
I have asked Francois for the Viviere.  The ARES has gone back to Singapore to be checked out.  Doubtless they will send a replacement.  So I will compare the two when the ARES comes back, which, judging from the comments on the Vinshine website, will take some time

Courier was damn expensive.  I got quotes ranging from R2010 to R3260
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline HH NS1000

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
I have asked Francois for the Viviere.  The ARES has gone back to Singapore to be checked out.  Doubtless they will send a replacement.  So I will compare the two when the ARES comes back, which, judging from the comments on the Vinshine website, will take some time

Courier was damn expensive.  I got quotes ranging from R2010 to R3260
I purchased a Vivere after recommendation by Ian(Jim Gore) and audition at his place and I absolutely love it. So much more information(insight) in the music compared to my Levinson DAC I could hardly believe my ears.
If you don't understand your own perceptions you cannot really make any sensible judgements.....or should I say you would not really fathom the conclusions you come to.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »

I have a DAC1541 if you're interested in getting your ears on one of those, but...

For the kind of money you're talking about though, I'd be trying to hear an Yggdrasil to see if that pushes the right buttons. Schiit just got done with an upgrade to the analog board in the Yggy which is apparently a good step up in curing a slight grayness in the background. That plus USB Gen 5 also baked into the new Yggys.

Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »
I have a Soekris DAC1541 if you're interested in getting your ears on one of those, but...

To avoid confusion with Phillips TDA...

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
For me, the main ingredient of a good DAC is always instrument separation. In other words, there should be a sense of "air" between instruments & voices when listening (think of it as a fence of sound as opposed to a wall of sound). Supplementary to that is how holographic audio sounds through the DAC -- I 
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »
So I rudely interrupted myself with an unplanned keystroke and posted prematurely. So anyway...

For me, the main ingredient of a good DAC is always instrument separation. In other words, there should be a sense of "air" between instruments & voices when listening (think of it as a fence of sound as opposed to a wall of sound). Supplementary to that is how holographic audio sounds through the DAC -- I

Supplementary to that, is how "holographic" audio sounds through the DAC. Is there depth and layers to the music? Can you imagine the band members' positions on stage when listening? I can tell you that while both are superb, there is a distinct difference between a Nuprime UDSD and an Audio Gd NFB11.28. It's why the Nuprime suffices for my workstation at the office whilst the AG lives with my gaming/AV rig. 

Speaking of gaming rigs, I often tell people in that circle who don't understand my other hobby that the DAC is like a graphics card. Entry level ones produce the bare minimum to get by, and the highest end ones are able to reproduce an image as close to lifelike as digital gets provided the output does it justice. In other words, you don't buy a Nvidia Titan when you only have a CRT monitor, and you don't buy a Benchmark DAC3 to run a pair of Skullcandies.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline amirm

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
For the kind of money you're talking about though, I'd be trying to hear an Yggdrasil to see if that pushes the right buttons. Schiit just got done with an upgrade to the analog board in the Yggy which is apparently a good step up in curing a slight grayness in the background. That plus USB Gen 5 also baked into the new Yggys.
I recently tested that configuration and unfortunately there are good number of issues in its performance.  See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »
I recently tested that configuration and unfortunately there are good number of issues in its performance.  See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

Oh for Pete's sake, Amir, are you reduced to lurking on South African forums now? You clearly have an axe to grind with Schiit - I suggest you keep it to your own little piece of the internet.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
Oh for Pete's sake, Amir, are you reduced to lurking on South African forums now? You clearly have an axe to grind with Schiit - I suggest you keep it to your own little piece of the internet.

I find this post most unwelcome,  input such as factual lab test info from a member abroad is just as welcome as any local input. Topic in hand is a US product after all.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
I find this post most unwelcome,  input such as factual lab test info from a member abroad is just as welcome as any local input. Topic in hand is a US product after all.

Amir has made himself unwelcome on several online forums and has a negative reputation going back years. Don't assume that something that seems factual is really accurate. Especially with highly technical fields like testing it is very easy to distort things.