So what do you actually listen for in a DAC?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
After listening to probably 10 different DAC's on and off through the same system - Forget the list for now but its wide with new and old thrown in- and trying to judge to my own taste what I like and the criteria I am choosing, not just that it sounds "good" or "bad" to me but what exactly is it that am I hearing that I may like or dislike?

I actually found this really difficult to pin down?

My own preference in a DAC came down eventually to three things:

1) What I call a "dark" background quiet or very quiet and music can emanate very vibrantly from that "darkness" and vanish back into it (Probably referring to dynamic range doubt I am hearing a noise floor?)
2) The ability to handle extremely complex sounds such as some classical with around 20 or more instruments playing together clearly without it sounding like a random wall of noise (I found many I heard fall flat on their face here) with only a few "types" of DAC chip handing it - to my ears at least - subjective
3) The ability to play very low frequencies whilst still maintaining perfect clarity of other much softer higher frequency sounds in the background

This is just my 2 cents what I listen for and found that the sound of a DAC can range from painful and annoying to just perfect and sublime, how do other forum members evaluate a DAC, what do you actually look for in a "good" DAC?

Latest posts