Author Topic: Enter the flash/usb operating system?  (Read 609 times)

Offline kenvanraas

Enter the flash/usb operating system?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »
I have lost all my music,work and backup etc (3TB) in a surge.
Now im trying to get by without any HardDrives.
Enter Xenialpup.
Early days but ive managed to get Netflix going.Thunderbird and xfe file manager working.The network handshake is good to a NAS (Yassm) and i can drop files via that.
The root issue gets to me sometimes (and especially Rox filer),but i really am amazed @ this OS loading to ram.Its lighning quick.
One thing,somethimes i run into trouble with that and created a swap file on the same (32G) stick.Good idea?
Also Nvidia drivers dont appreciate my one screen  :BWAHAHAH: 1366x768.only 1360 (but i changed that in x files?)

Offline kenvanraas

Re: Enter the flash/usb operating system?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
Puppies still storming ahead here  :2thumbs:
Tried Porteus os,PclinuxOs,But Puppys happily the easiest/wisest of the bunch for me.
Ja,read/write to usb is not on,but ive made a couple of copies,too cheap these sticks anyways.
This is quite amazing running a pc monitor,projector,internet,home network etc with this +- 300 mb OS.(dare i say its faster than Windows 10  :help:)
I came to grips with Rox filer,so life,for now,could only get better  :2thumbs:.
(i dont do vlc,apt-get,its not what i'm made for  :thumbs:)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:14:31 PM by kenvanraas »

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:22 PM »
We used to use Knoppix directly off a CD. Nice tool for fixing other OS software issues.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:52 PM »
I tried to get from mirror sites,download not working.(i think it stopped,the cd in 2013)only the full on dvd.but i gave up.(i understand the dvds a full on toolbox of na-nas :notworthy:)