Author Topic: Advanced driving - what is the correct procedure for...  (Read 321 times)

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
Advanced driving - what is the correct procedure for...
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
I get sucked in YouTube videos sometimes. I watched this clip the other day ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQEdKj-ij8 ) and noticed that there are lots of 'secondary' accidents that happen because a driver has had to take evasive action and has subsequently landed a wheel (or two) off the tar and onto the dirt. From there everything goes pear shaped and few recover control of the vehicle...

Is there a set 'procedure' or 'technique' to recover from such a situation?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Advanced driving - what is the correct procedure for...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
Get a car with a good ABS system
Otherwise stop braking and steer into the skid till you get steering and then brake...if you can , its not intuitive , most folk slam on more brake and steer the opposite to the skid which makes things worse
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:40 PM »
Otherwise stop braking and steer into the skid till you get steering and then brake...if you can , its not intuitive , most folk slam on more brake and steer the opposite to the skid which makes things worse

agreed - treat it like a normal skid. keep power on & steer into it. can be tricky though as it can be very sudden & normal instinct is to take foot off the power.
seen a couple of cases where people back off the power, regain traction while pointing in the wrong direction & veer off into the wall / car / tyrewall etc. on the opposite side of the road.
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »
agreed - treat it like a normal skid. keep power on & steer into it. can be tricky though as it can be very sudden & normal instinct is to take foot off the power.
seen a couple of cases where people back off the power, regain traction while pointing in the wrong direction & veer off into the wall / car / tyrewall etc. on the opposite side of the road.

That seems to be what normally happens. Once the tyres hit the tar again and the car is pointing the wrong way it literally 'shoots' across the road...

That is where a advanced driving course is useful so that a person can 'practice' in a controlled environment. If its not practised and not intuitive then it will be difficult for the average person to 'cognate' (the procedure) in an emergency situation...

Offline santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
I  like cars, never been in this situation, and will probably tank if I were, but here's my 2c worth and what I'll try to practise.
Firstly, all drive cars with ABS and EBD. ABS is not there to "prevent locking of the brakes" but there to "allow you to steer while braking to steer around the obstruction"
the reason why many still crash and burn - even with ABS and EBD, is that the "juddering" of the ABS make's them back off the brake, which is wrong.
The idea is to slam on the brakes - hard - and use the ABS feaure to steer around what you're gonna hit. In fact that's the primary reason for the technology, to allbe able to steer which was not the case with cars with no ABS. The car pretty much followed the line that it was engaged in (according to Laws of Motion).
Second, practise (if you can get to a track), how to use the steering to overcome oversteer and understeer and the engine power in tandem, and the effects vary whether your car is FWD or RWD. This is assuming you're on driving a R2M Audi Quattro or Porsche 911 (4WD)

The final bit of advice is that cars have become commodities, hellishly safe so if you can't get it right, just ride out the crash, the insurance will write off the car irrespective and get a new one !

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
Or drive around the accident and find a large rock to stop you like I did, luckily I have a Jeep ;D

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
^^^ Ouch! Ou Kaapse Weg!

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
Ja the clown in the Fiat had been hitting a few cars coming down before coming right at me so I had to head for the mountain, luckily there was room at that point, unfortunately also big rocks.  The Jeep lives on :thumbs: