Trinnov... best upgrade yet...astounding

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
Last year I pulled the trigger on a pre owned Trinnov St2 - hifi (EU 3400 vs new price of 6700 eu)
After a month of waiting and SAPO drama , it eventually came.

What is a trinnov .. well its pre/dac/room correction device albeit Im only using it as a room correction device.

http://www.trinnov.com/products/hi-fi/st2-hifi/introduction-st2-hifi/?lang=en_us
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trinnov/1.html

It has 2 digital inputs (aes/ebu) and outputs as well as 2 analog (rca or balanced) inputs
Outputs are the same..it is a 4 channel machine , so can accept twin subs and 2 mains or can be used for active biamping

Trinnov-Audio-ST2-HiFi.jpg

Im using it in the digital domain only spdif in , AES out to devialet integrated amps .. so have no idea of how it performs as a pre/dac tho will try it with an abletech 650w power amp and bypass the devialets

It uses a 3d mic with 4 capsule stalks to measure and work out its stuff..it knows the exact position of all your speakers/subs in 3d space

What does it correct
Imbalance between speakers , delay , amplitude , phase , group delay , impulse,  some sonic reflections etc.

I runs its own internal linux computer and is controlled via VNC from a tablet.

You can either let the unit measure and listen to 1 of 5 presets it creates or define your own correction to the nth degree with its various tools and setting

At any rate I use their neutral setting with my own target curve

I can go on and on about its workings , but I will skip all that and just describe its sonic impact

I have it set up so I can swap between uncorrected , DIRAC and Trinnov
Even with a great room , uncorrected sound is just not an option .. no room or room treatment can obliterate room nodes in the low bass ..you need DSP for that

DIRAC.. the previous DRC device I was using did a very good job and I thought it was the bee's knee's of all the zillions of other DSP/DRC packages I have used..
Well , dirac sounds broken compared to the trinnov..the difference is totally jaw dropping
The bass control is infinitely better , tighter , more definition , better pitch , more slam ,more depth.

Most amazing is its effects on the rest of the sonic spectrum , especially imaging and soundstage
it broadens the soundstage totally beyond the speakers laterally and fore and aft and promotes a sense of space the recording has ,  imaging is scalpel sharp without being focussed to a small spot , you can hear each instrument in its own 3d space...it elevates my G1 spirits to another plane.. differences arent subtle at all..

Its not the easiest unit to use  and its pricey .. local price is R120k... but it transforms the system to make it worth every penny.. for that money it will be set up for you by the agents ..

Kudos and a shout out must go to Morgan and Christian (local agents) both of whom knew I bought the unit 2nd hand but helped with any queries I had on usage and setup with enthusiasm. In fact one of the Trinnov engineers spoke to me over the phone with some really good tips (this morning)