What exactly does DIY mean?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is somewhat of a philisophical topic, but something I have been wondering about for a while:

When exactly does something stop being DIY?

Let's say I build a set of bookshelf speakers:

1. I build it from MDF and paint it with a roller using enamel. It looks and sounds kind of shite, but my friends are very kind so, everyone says it's cool so I feel good about what I have achieved.

2. I build the same thing but using imported birch ply. It still looks and sounds kind of shite,  but I feel good about it.

3.  I build the same thing, but now I spend time getting the crossover to work well so it looks kind of shite but sounds good.

4. ...I refine my woodworking and finishing skills so now it looks and sounds good (and my friends no longer need to feel sorry for me and lie about it).

5. ...I decide to skip the wood and use composites. It looks and sounds great.

6.  ...I hone my finishing and crossover skills to a fine art, so now I am building something tuly beautiful.

Is it still DIY at point number 6? I would think so, but what's your opinion on the matter? Does DIY have anything to do with your skill level,  the kind of equipment you have, or the amount of effort you have put into bettering your skills? I don't think so but it feels like at a certain point things are no longer considered DIY anymore even though I have literally done everything myself?

So in short then, does DIY automatically somehow imply inferior workmanship, doing things on the cheap, making downright ugly things, or just general disdain for quality in workmanship, materials, and technique or am I missing something somewhere? Is something somehow less DIY if it's done well, using good quality materials and applying real love and passion to the general fit / finish and workmanship?

Please share your thoughts & sorry for the rant and rave :flame:

Kind regards,
Ian.