Upgraded B&W P5

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I couldn't find much info on some upgrades that i recently purchased for my B&W P5 headphones and thought i would share my experience for anyone else who may be interested.

Let me state first and foremost that I am not a massive headphone guy as I do most of my listening on my stereo. My main purpose for the cans is travelling & the odd listening at home when i don't want to disturb the Mrs.

I chose the P5 for their pretty good portability and pretty good build and sound quality. I did have a problem with long listening periods as the on ear design really starts to hurt my ears after about and hour of listening. I did some research and decided to take the plunge and try a few upgrades I found on Amazon:

The first was the Ablet "over ear" ear pad upgrade. What a massive difference! the Over ear design is infinitely more comfortable than the standard pads. it uses the same magnetic fixing system, so it is literally a clip on item. I can listen for hours on end without any discomfort at all. a real game changer in my opinion! The sonic difference is pretty much unchanged, if anything the low end is slightly less which personally prefer and they do sound a bit more open. The quality is great, good leather and padding. My only criticism is the magnets are not as strong as the original and they do occasionally fall off.

The next upgrade was the silver plated cable. A noticeable difference on the detail of the audio over the original flimsy cable. Its a bit of a fiddle to get in place as the cable is a fair bit thicker than the original. the cable length is 1.5 meters which makes it a lot more versatile. Great upgrade for the asking price of 20 pounds! drawback....no controls for iPhone on the cable, but not a big deal for me personally.

The last upgrade is the REYTID Bluetooth adapter. sound quality is definitely hampered but the device connects to anything that supports Bluetooth audio....phone, tablet, PC, TV etc. I use it primarily for watching TV when the Mrs is sleeping, and for that purpose it is perfect. Connect to my Samsung smart TV without a hitch. The battery life seems good, still on the first charge and hasn't died yet +- 4 hours use so far. it has 3 buttons on the device which hangs just below the left earpad for volume and answering calls/next track. installation is very straightforward as the cable is about the same diameter as the original cable. Very nice discreet upgrade for 20 pounds.

So just my 2 cents worth for anyone possibly looking to do some pretty cheap upgrades. It was just under 60 pounds all in, and I am pretty happy with the Results!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Brad.

Latest posts