Author Topic: Power supply mod.  (Read 160 times)

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Power supply mod.
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:03 AM »
I'm building a TPA3255 amp and needed power for it, I need about 40v for the amp and some 12v and 5v for the mesmerize preamp, 2 x Amanero units and 2 DAC's.

I had some Harris rack mount power supplies but they did not have the right mix for me.

So I pulled the 60vac presupply in a 12v unit and replaced it with a 48vdc unit.

I stripped these boxes about 3 years ago and cannot remember what the 0v ISO and +v ISO was for so I just routed the 48v there. They were from a Siemens rack .

So now I get 41v, 12v, -12v and 5v of very clean power out of one box. They can also adjust about 5% up and down.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
Re: Power supply mod.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
Is that the PSU in the top left?  What components and regulators are being used?

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Power supply mod.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
Is that the PSU in the top left?  What components and regulators are being used?

That is the TPA amp.

In the steel box, on the right top is the 48VDC PS, that feeds the input on 12v, -12v, 5v PS on the bottom right.
Those DC unit are made by https://www.ccipowersupplies.com/.

I suspect custom made for Siemens/Harris because the model numbers don't show on the site.
They seem rocksteady.

The amp and other components are going in another PSU box I've stripped.

Busy with that now. I'll try and get the amp working on it's own before wiring up the preamp and DACs.