Author Topic: How Spotify / streaming is destroying art  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: How Spotify / streaming is destroying art
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:00:12 AM »
If you support this crap you're destroying the very thing that brings you pleasure.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
That "pushed my buttons."  Maybe I'll read the rest later.  Good to see what you've vaguely thought get articulated so well.
#SPOTIFYMUSTFALL \\  https://bandcamp.com/kat_ji

Offline raj

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • trying to get over my obsession!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:18 AM »
Brilliant read...very scary that we are all just "algorithms" :be:
"My advice is don't spend your money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." Wim Wenders

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
How Spotify / streaming is destroying art
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »
I really donít see what the issue is ?

IMO itís one greedy past trying to defend what always used to be a fundamentally ďgreedyĒ industry and are now crying wolf because the dollars are going elsewhere ..
I really donít see how playlists etc will change music .. music has always been around and will always be around .. wether Spotify or record labels take the profits has got nothing to do with killing music ..
In concept a tape recording or playlist library creates the same affect , these guys just got the idea to work in their favour..
so for those artist and labels who signs up in any case so they can get bucks ...well .. sell your souls ...

Should we move back to Vinyl only ? Where you get the labels playlists in any case and they make more then the artists also and they also keep ď other ď artists at bay as they wish .. hmmm .. what goes around comes around .. why would so many people use it if it was bad ? If it is really bad surely it will show its horns and crash at some point .. thatís when people will be looking to buy my LPís ..yipeee

Bottom line is the small artist is, has and always will be sidelined .. so I recon we are talking about the big boys here and thatís why I laugh when they mention something about ď scraping to get by ...Ē .. do they wanna continue owning private jets ? And having exotic gold and lamboís on display in their vids ...
 Ja .. Iím not convinced to feel sorry for the big boys they get enough ..

If someone can create a channel to cut out all middle men .. no Spotify , radio stations , labels , blah blah .. yes now we are talking cause then the small guy can really stand a chance with an equal playing field.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:30:26 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Lupo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
If you have a vivid imagination, things like "the robots are coming!" would have kept you up at night. The reality is, they are here and more are coming! If you think "this will not affect me", well just go right ahead and put your head back in the sand (and think again while your head is in there). When you feel up to it, go watch Disney's WALL-E for the polished version of what is possibly on our doorstep. Just take note, there is not enough room for all of us on the ship to be waited on hand and foot…

Disruptive technology is a popular term doing the rounds for years now and has affected a lot of jobs, I just didn't envisage it would affect musicians at this stage already - albeit indirectly! Inevitably more to follow.

So if Stopify aims to be top of the pyramid as a “digital” super record label slash streaming service, will they step on a few guitars and keep a whole bunch of people employed as baristas in the process? If the article is anything to go by...  Wasn't Stopify recently mentioned in the media, disgruntled musicians claiming royalties or what not?

It would seem that ethics is something confined to the cover of a dictionary these days.   On a side note, not too sure how long those musicians and other artists moonlighting as baristas and the like will have that second job. Apparently the grownup version of Eugene Goostman the chatterbot will be coming to your favourite coffee shop soon! Apart from your favourite cup of java (pun intended) fortified with all the pharmaceutical goodness as prescribed by your friendly neighbourhood med-bot, Eugene will also serve up stock tips, provide counselling if you did not escape the bitcoin bubble in time and review the case management strategy for that messy divorce which you really don't care about, thanks to all that pharmaceutical goodness (did I mention Pzifer has branched out into coffee shops...”dedicated to the improvement of human life”). Filing your tax return is extra, t’s and c’s may apply. All this whilst processing the transaction by accessing your financial and other personal information as he scans your bio-metrics. Served piping hot, just the way you like it   :sh1tstirrer:

Apologies for derailing. I didn’t know all that was in there.

Mods, please do your magic if this is too much of a hijack, possible self-incriminating (liable), or generally in the “Far Side”  :nutter:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:37:10 PM by Lupo »

Offline Lupo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
^^^ Lupo's account may, or may not have been hacked by a 13 year old Ukrainian boy.

Offline Katji

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
It is not about artists getting less money or more money, and unknown artists have more opportunities now than ever before.

So it's much like the old issues with commercial music radio, the same ++.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:06:08 PM by Katji »

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
It is not about artists getting less money or more money, and unknown artists have more opportunities now than ever before.

So it's much like the old issues with commercial music radio, the same ++.
??? Pls elaborate whatís it about ..
what exactly is killing music ?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
It seems to me that a lot of the music that Spotify has in their catalogue is not worth listening to

Much the same as when we got Satellite TV in 1996.  Wow, hundreds of channels, sounds fantastic.  But its the same old boring crap dressed differently, all "dumbed down" in the majority of situations
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline 2wice

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »
I reckon if you've made yourself the target market as described above, it's by choice.

It's also a badly generalized idea of the listening public.

Offline Katji

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
Yes.

Nothing is "killing music."  The title/headline is "killing art." I think that's a bit sensationalist. I disagree.  Difference between commercial music and art. Commercial and underground.

It seems to me that the writer does not deal with that well enough.  Then, what 2wice said.  And the commercial music customers/market was always manipulated/whatever by radio and advertising ...and this all is a natural development, given the internet and streaming technology and so on.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
Home taping was killing music in the 80s, CDs were killing music in the 90s, mp3s and Napster were killing music in the 00s and before that FM radio was probably killing music in the 70s.  Itís more resilient than Keith Richardsí cockroach clone.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
Nothingís killing nothing ... itís just marketing backwards evolution .. they parcel it and sell you this crap until you realize **** like ďVinyl on mono was actually a very high peak already in playback quality so how on earth did we buy all this other stuff ... mxm ď

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:43 AM »
I reckon if you've made yourself the target market as described above, it's by choice.

It's also a badly generalized idea of the listening public.

The sentiment in the article should apply for all streaming services, Spotify is merely the largest player in the market at present.

2wice's quote above: Yes & no. Yes for the older generation - we are able to make the choice as we know & understand the difference.

The younger generation: not so much. Streaming is the way they listen to music, it is what & how their age group discovers music. Witness the rise of the vine stars (when it still existed) & youtube stars. All punted by paid slots/ads and playlists. "Sponsored" is merely a euphemism for paid.

I think the article shows a fairly representative view of (specifically urban metropolitan) the public. Few people own any sort of hi-fi anymore. Bluetooth speaker/s & mobile phone is the way to go. Streaming is just too easy, and too convenient.
If I look among my teenage children's peer groups not one owns any physical music media. No vinyl, no CD's, not even a dedicated mp3 player. Everything is streamed from their phone or tablet, either through earbuds or through bluetooth speakers.
There is no desire to even own physical media from their generation. Too much choice, too much "curated playlists" being fed to them - which dictates who is a star today, and a has-been tomorrow.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*