Author Topic: Closed back headphone advise  (Read 735 times)

Online johanhp

Closed back headphone advise
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I need some advise on getting a headphone for work. I want good sound quality but minimize noise pollution into the office space.

Budget is around R3000 just for the headphones. I have looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm. Is there anything else I should consider?

Offline LouisF

Re: Closed back headphone advise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
This may suit you for less than R3k.
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,67514.msg815498.html#msg815498
I shall pay postnet to postnet charges.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
DT770 will be great, what will they be plugged into?  250 ohms will be a tough ask for a laptop/PC to drive.

Also look at the Custom One Pro, more comfy with adjustable bass response and low impedence (16 Ohm) so easier to drive.  Price is slightly higher.

Product info below

https://africa-middle-east.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/4056

Online johanhp

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Will be getting a headphone amp so it should not be an issue.

DT770 will be great, what will they be plugged into?  250 ohms will be a tough ask for a laptop/PC to drive.

Also look at the Custom One Pro, more comfy with adjustable bass response and low impedence (16 Ohm) so easier to drive.  Price is slightly higher.

Product info below

Online johanhp

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Thanks I will have a look,

Product info below

Online johanhp

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
I see there are some options on the forum

Meze 99: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,68647.msg826839.html#msg826839
ADL H118: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,67514.msg815498.html#msg815498

Is there anyone that have experience with these as well as the DT770 250's?

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
Don't know the ADL's but the Meze 99 is a solid buy ... Exceptional sound for a closed back in a very stylish package.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
You can also add the Audio Technica MSR7 to your list. Very good and detailed headphone for the price, but requires a good source and source material. So not the best for compressed modern music and much better for well recorded stuff. Nicely balanced overall with a slight treble tilt. Bass is accurate without being overdone and it's not overly warm like so many closed headphones I've heard.

Online johanhp

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
Thanks, I will put it on my short list.

Very difficult to get a sense of all the options without listening to them. I don't even have an idea of where one would be able to demo anything.

You can also add the Audio Technica MSR7 to your list. Very good and detailed headphone for the price, but requires a good source and source material. So not the best for compressed modern music and much better for well recorded stuff. Nicely balanced overall with a slight treble tilt. Bass is accurate without being overdone and it's not overly warm like so many closed headphones I've heard.

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
Depends where you are.  In Jhb C-Plan Audio stocks a wide range and is happy to demo.

Online johanhp

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
I am in Pretoria so JHB is doable. Will contact them and see what they have thanks.

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
Consider my sleeper hit of the last 12 months: the Samson Z55's.

They used to cost about the same as the MSR7 but are now priced quite sanely, making them an absolute bargain considering their SQ and incredible scaleability. If you can get around the brand, you are in for a treat.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Online johanhp

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »

They used to cost about the same as the MSR7 but are now priced quite sanely, making them an absolute bargain considering their SQ and incredible scaleability. If you can get around the brand, you are in for a treat.
Thanks for the tip, will have a look

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »

You got a right bargain there with the Z55s - still enjoying them?

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990Pro=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 01:09:51 AM »
You got a right bargain there with the Z55s - still enjoying them?
Indeed. I take them everywhere, including Parkrun and gym.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...