Author Topic: Advice on Dremel 4000  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Orior

Advice on Dremel 4000
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »
Hi Guys

I need some advice on the Dremel 4000 rotary tool.  The brochure states that it has electronic feedback torque control to maintain torque and keep the rpm steady. 
I tested one and at the lowest speed, 5000rpm, the unit has absolutely no torque,  When I touch it with my finger, applying very little pressure, the unit stops completely.  Is this normal?  The only reference I have to torque controlled tools are my Metabo tools (drill, saw, etc) and these keep their torque extremely well.  I understand that the Dremel is only 175W, but I expected more torque than the nothing that is present. 
Is this normal and am I expecting too much?  Any advice would e appreciated.

Thanks

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
Re: Advice on Dremel 4000
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
When I touch it with my finger, applying very little pressure, the unit stops completely.  Is this normal? 

Thanks

No, definitely not. I have the 3000 and i wouldn't dare try that with it. Unless you exaggerating the amount (or lack of) pressure you apply.

In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Orior

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
No, definitely not. I have the 3000 and i wouldn't dare try that with it. Unless you exaggerating the amount (or lack of) pressure you apply.
I am talking about the torque on the lowest speed, not when running at full speed. At 5000 rpm it is easily stopped with with a finger on the shaft, no tool inserted.  On higher rpm it seems better, but then the speed is probably doing the work and not the torque control.
If you take the running shaft between your finger and thumb it takes much less pressure on the shaft to stop it than what it takes to hold a celphone between the same two fingers. Hope it makes sence.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
I got the 4000, no way that's right.

It's still pretty beefy even at the lowest speed.

Offline Orior

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:28:39 PM »
I got the 4000, no way that's right.

It's still pretty beefy even at the lowest speed.
Thanks, that is what I suspected.

Offline ron g

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

& for anyone who may be interested - cash converters at china mall midrand has a number of dremels of various types (versa tip & 3000) at what seem, to my untrained eye, to be good prices.
& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Was going to start a new thread, but found this one:

I am looking to purchase a Dremel tool.

Which set offers the best value for money?  I'm quite keen on getting a set with the flexible drive-shaft.
3000 vs 4000?

The opening reason for needing such a tool is to carefully cut apart lithium-ion battery backs.  Tried rolling the tags off with long-nose pliers, but due to the penetration of the spot-welds, I ended up perforating a few too many cells for my liking.

PS.  I'm in Cape Town.

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
For a 175w tool, that doesnt seem right. You mentioned stopping the shaft easily between your fingers ....is this at the end of the flexi-shaft or the shaft on the tool itself ?  If its the flexi, then the drive cord may be slipping at the coupling...which may need tightening...if so you may be sorted.

If you turn the speed control up, can you still stop it with your fingers ?

These rotary tools are designed for the speed of rotation to give the results, and not so much heavy torque. Its possible that the lowest setting is the most gentle setting for the lightest work and the required control or torque for such is what you are experiencing ?

I looked at the Dremel range of rotary tools, and found them somewhat expensive compared to other similar products out there. I found a decent deal on a 135w ( 35000 rpm! ) Einhell tool with flexi shaft, telescopic stand, incl. a 300pc accessories kit for R299 some years ago at Makro. Its worked flawlessly since day-one and I use it regularly. I purchased the Dremel speed-click shaft which allows me to use the Dremel range of consumables, like the grinding /cutting discs with the Einhell (made in Germany..not China).

The Torq-Craft machines are also good and fair deals can be found on them from time to time...bought one as a gift once.