Author Topic: Seriously- something must be done about posting pictures on this forum  (Read 1888 times)

Offline naughty

Re: Seriously- something must be done about posting pictures on this forum
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
@Naughty & @Trompie67

I donít want to post pictures. Iím just tired of clicking on topic after topic, and getting either the photobucket expired placeholder, or blank frames in posts Iím interested in.
No offence to the site owner, and as I said, I enjoy the pros of a small site.
What happens when Postimg decides to go the commercial route. There wonít be a viewable picture on this forum.
So either, you guys learn to type very fast, in order to describe the item you wish to discuss, or we find a way to be autonomous in posting those magical kiloword images.
See what Iím saying?

that photobucket expired placeholder has a fix in every browser - im using the fix for it in Firefox and i see none of those placeholders - only just every image posted .... its been mentioned in lots of places including in this forum

BTW if Postimg does go commercial then basically that free add-on that they provide is going to go belly up too

Having read through this topic again, Iíd like to point out that I suggested that Commercial members fit the bill. It would seem that R100,00/month from each of them would cover the costs. Still, a small price for the privilege.

While I donít have access to the site stats, Iíd wager that more than half of topics on the forum as it stands, are obsolete, due to the fact that the images which are referenced in the text, are gone. Forget the fact that those topics account for half of the available (free/gratis) server space.

Forgive me, but I gather that this forum is rapidly gentrifying. I understand that technology and itís advances are not at the forefront of concern for many here, who are firmly entrenched in familiarity.
Yet, as stated in my OP, the hurdles to overcome are tiny. We can have a site where pictures are ours, and will be around for the ever dwindling number of newcomers to enjoy, for as long as this site exists.
Isnít that the point?

why do commercial members need to pay for the crap you wish to do .... as i have said before theres no need for subjecting them to that especially when they rarely make too many commercial sales here and that commercial section is provided free of charge for those commercial members to provide discounts for forum members AND now you want them to pay for your personal activities ... that is being greedy man ..... pictures you want to post are your problem .... not theirs

as for technology and how backward current members are .... [sarcasm mode] yes it is us who dont see those stupid photobucket placeholders anymore while you do, so who is actually firmly entrenched in familiarity? - HINT you cant even be bothered to check is there is a solution to that particular problem and its been available and discussed here over a month ago so stop talking tommyrot [/sarcasm mode]

EDIT : just for your education and information on the technology you hold so dear to your heart  :giggle:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,67199.msg812265.html#msg812265

the hurdles to overcome are tiny

are you willing to personally pay the additional hosting costs from your own pocket? ... if not then rather stop with these grandiose suggestions .... talking is easy but when its you who has to fork out for your suggestions then the hurdles dont seem so minor and easy to overcome anymore
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:15:28 PM by naughty »

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »

BTW if Postimg does go commercial then basically that free add-on that they provide is going to go belly up too

Postimage has "gone commercial" (for many years now) - they cover their costs with discreet banner ads as I explained.

why do commercial members need to pay for the crap you wish to do ....

????  Why are you being so insulting and abusive? What's wrong with you man? Everybody else on this forum is so well mannered!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:28:23 PM by JBredene »

Offline Larry

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
Sheeesh guys, chill out.

I think in short no one else really has a huge issue here, lets let it go and move on.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Sheeesh guys, chill out.

I think in short no one else really has a huge issue here, lets let it go and move on.

+10000

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:45 PM »
@Naughty

I am impervious to offence. I use my iPhone browser (Safari) exclusively to visit this site.
Please read my quoted (by yourself)  text. I saidĒ I donít want to post images.Ē
Iíll state again: I want to see the images in older posts. Why should we be happy with a photobucket fix for some browsers, and risk loosing those images again in future for whatever reason. Even then, there are some pictures not displaying.
The bottom line reason is that this site doesnít host its own images.
If thatís not going to change, even when someone makes reasonable suggestions, then so be it.

Offline naughty

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »
????  Why are you being so insulting and abusive? What's wrong with you man? Everybody else on this forum is so well mannered!

because the guy is not listening at all when we say that its a gift from someone that this site exists and with his idiocy he wants it taken away .... if he doesnt want to pay for additional hosting then dont ask for additional hosting .... end of story but dont jeopardize the existence of the forum by being a pushy idiot

and toi paraphrase what he said in his opening post "SOMEONE HAS TO SAY IT"

his suggestions are not reasonable because he wants to make suggestions that someone else has to pay for .... well if he paid toward the expenses then its a reasonable suggestion but since he doesnt he needs to realize that its a very unreasonable suggestion

as i said if it was me forking out to pay for the site i would have closed it down a long time ago with members that make selfish unreasonable demands like this and then insult us about familiarity with technology when he "so advanced" himself

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
Wow! Iím sorry Naughty

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

Online King_Julian_S

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
Wow! Iím sorry Naughty

You are new arenít you ?
Youíll quickly learn the system around here ... donít challenge the status quo too often as you might get  those ďrudeĒ replies 🥂...

anyway enjoy the free costs while you are around and go look for the fix so this thread can be closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »
Iíve been around a while.
No worries, Iím not bothered. Just want to see things working better.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
I don't think the OP should get stoned for expressing his opinion in an attempt to improve the forum.

Let's keep it civil gentleman.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
Actually, enough said, and the reasons have been given. Thread closed.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
I havenít been on this forum for nearly as long as some, and being new, have accepted the status quo. No longer though. Somebodyís got to say it: Posting pictures to the site server. The software allows it, it just has to be implemented.
Why can we still not post pictures directly to the forum servers?

Thanks for bringing this up. As the entity footing the bill for the forum (which includes the host but also domain registration, backups, sysadmin), allow me to answer :) The software has the functionality built in; in fact we're already hosting O(GB) of attachments. I just capped it at that many years ago since I wasn't prepared to pay for a growing and unbounded amount of storage in perpetuity. My thinking was that I'd want things posted to stay up for as long as possible, and offloading images to third party hosts would conveniently solve (my) problem. Clearly, it didn't. I am committed to keeping the forum going for as long as possible; it's just that hosting text is many orders of magnitude cheaper than hosting images.

I am thinking of ways we could generate some additional income which would offset the cost of hosting additional content in a way that is fair and preserves the spirit of the forum. Our scale is such that algorithmic placement of advertising won't generate sufficient income while (IMHO) significantly worsening the experience of using the forum. Asking (some) forum members to pay is an option (which has been brought up before, and the community seems to be happy with it) but I'd like to come up with a model in which there's fair value in return. Additionally, this needs to be completely self-service and low admin overhead. I'd rather pay a small amount for hosting out of my pocket, than generate (probably an equally small) amount of revenue at the cost of significant time dealing with queries, billings, and nonsense that's going to arise from commercial transactions. So that's my dilemma. If you (or anyone else) has constructive suggestions in that regard, please feel free to PM me.

as for paying extra - i havent seen Kay on this forum for yonks .... the fact that he continues paying for something that he personally doesnt really use or that doesnt really benefit him personally at all, is something we should be thankful for and then to ask him to pay more for server space is IMHO being a bit cheeky just as much as asking somebody else to do so ..... and really its cheeky because you can find your own free hosting sites or sites that want you to pay for your own hosting pretty easily on the internet

I still lurk; thankfully most of the day to day care and feeding of the forum is done by the mod team which is very much appreciated :) I honestly don't think it's ungrateful behaviour to ask for image hosting (though a less entitled attitude certainly helps).

I find it surprising that there aren't better options for free long-term hosting of images. I used to use Flickr and never have had problems hotlinking images from there. Perhaps we can update the image posting guidelines with some better suggestions as a short-term fix? Even if they involve the likes of Google+/Facebook for whom a few extra gigabytes are just a rounding error? Open to suggestions. I also get annoyed when I open some old thread, and all the images are gone. That's certainly not the long-term preservation of the forum that I had in mind.