Author Topic: Seriously- something must be done about posting pictures on this forum  (Read 1461 times)

Online Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
I havenít been on this forum for nearly as long as some, and being new, have accepted the status quo. No longer though. Somebodyís got to say it: Posting pictures to the site server. The software allows it, it just has to be implemented.
Why can we still not post pictures directly to the forum servers?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Seriously- something must be done about posting pictures on this forum
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
Hosting costs money...kindly funded by one individual. The forum is free to use and free of advertising, reinstating hosting of pics would necessitate means to recoup the increased costs.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
OK. I understand.
Still, I think something must be done. Server space is cheap these days. While I enjoy the friendly atmosphere of the forum, having helpful commercial members as friends rather than advertisers, I feel that there are enough commercial members here to carry the burden of server costs. If every entity listed under commercial members paid R50,00 a month for that privilege, the server costs would be covered. R50,00 a month is not money in todayís advertising environment. Factor in the direct advantage to the same commercial members who can then post pictures of the goods to their posts, itís a no brainer.
I admit, Iím not intimately familiar with the costs involved, but Iím sure R1000,00 per month would be plenty.
Can someone second me on this?
If no, then we carry on as is.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:08:51 AM »
I do get tapatalk ads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
I'd much rather advocate the use of external hosts.  Costs nothing to the forum and also speeds it up.

Offline Den123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »
My 2c:
I am far more active on other forums because it is so much easier to post pics.

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »
I admit, Iím not intimately familiar with the costs involved, but Iím sure R1000,00 per month would be plenty.

I'm not sure what this server costs to host per month, but I can tell you that at least some other forums cost a lot more.  Only the forum software and hosting (without any add-ons and time and everything else included) can easily run to ~R2k a month.

EDIT:  I also don't get how it's so hard to post pics.  Upload to a server (or use something local like Discord), copy the link and paste it here.  Done.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
Posting of pics to the site server was allowed but a few years ago it was changed to use external hosting for the reasons stated above by RJ.
AVF is primarily a community and not centered around the selling and buying of audio gear.

Sure the traders benefit but so do the members who purchase the goods at good prices from well known and trusted sellers.
Takes a lot of the risk out of buying second hand as well as potential scam artists for example on gomboom.
Some of the traders have also assisted me with advice or actual work done on a number of occasions mostly for free or a nominal fee.

I for one have no problem with using say postimage/linking the pictures and prefer this over being bombarded with ads  :2c:
A wee bit of PITA for a free, no ads site is  :2thumbs:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
I do get tapatalk ads

That's Tapatalk's ads, not the forums' :teach:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Seriously- something must be done about posting pictures on this forum
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
OK. I understand.
Still, I think something must be done. Server space is cheap these days. While I enjoy the friendly atmosphere of the forum, having helpful commercial members as friends rather than advertisers, I feel that there are enough commercial members here to carry the burden of server costs. If every entity listed under commercial members paid R50,00 a month for that privilege, the server costs would be covered. R50,00 a month is not money in todayís advertising environment. Factor in the direct advantage to the same commercial members who can then post pictures of the goods to their posts, itís a no brainer.

Thought of this before and I would be happy to contribute and have offered but totally understand why itís not done. 

The forum would lose its independence and sooner or later someone will read something in to the sponsorships. 

There are tutorials on how to add pics to posts.  Itís not so hard. 
If you use Tapatalk it does it all for you.

Itís a non issue imo.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
Honestly, for me, I find using Tapatalk for posting pics simplicity itself.

I use my browser for day to day viewing, and Tapatalk just for pics.

Online Lupo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
^^^ Problem solved - nice work around at least.

It is nice not to be bombarded by ads at every corner.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »

Thought of this before and I would be happy to contribute and have offered but totally understand why itís not done. 

The forum would lose its independence and sooner or later someone will read something in to the sponsorships.

In addition to the above, there's the administration effort that would have to go hand in hand.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »

There are tutorials on how to add pics to posts.  Itís not so hard. 
If you use Tapatalk it does it all for you.

Itís a non issue imo.
If u go the valve section the 2a3 and 45 thread .. Iíve recently asked since pics that was there have disappeared

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
OK. I understand.

i'm sorry but why should someone else pay for the privilege of paying for the photos you want to post .... those photos are actually your problem and no-one elses, so i'm sorry to say that your idea is definitely without merit

as for paying extra - i havent seen Kay on this forum for yonks .... the fact that he continues paying for something that he personally doesnt really use or that doesnt really benefit him personally at all, is something we should be thankful for and then to ask him to pay more for server space is IMHO being a bit cheeky just as much as asking somebody else to do so ..... and really its cheeky because you can find your own free hosting sites or sites that want you to pay for your own hosting pretty easily on the internet

bottom line you want server space to post photos then be prepared to pay for it yourself .... in the meantime be thankful that someone is paying for you to use this space at no cost to yourself .... and to be brutally straightforward any other attitude is actually ungrateful