Author Topic: The son of "the pros and cons of horn speakers" thread on request of KJS  (Read 3924 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

Non audiophile music lover...

Online Curlycat

Re: The son of "the pros and cons of horn speakers" thread on request of KJS
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
Thanks for all you effort Ingvar! I can't wait to see some build pictures.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »
With workshop relocation on the way this will take a little while, still no reason not to take a look at the little drivers that will inhabit my first pair.

These should not be hard to find and not expensive compared to sound and specifications.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline King_Julian_S

Those are highly regarded

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:23 AM »
ok now this has my attention, was preoccupied with my other build. So where can i get these drivers or is there a modern day driver i can buy that will do the same job?

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
JBL LE-8T was produced in quite large numbers, also next generation LE8-TH, are quite easy to find on the web, ebay etc, first version prefferable, prices, strangely enough similar when the original is far better, not cheap but in Europe/USA good units  in the region 300-600 euro/pair. I have no idea of the availabilty and prices in SA, a very good alternative is (and in another pricerange) is the Philips 9710 which seems to be a lot of around in SA (actualy i think the inspirational source of this design, King Julian S, has a pair extra and is looking for assistance with the build).

Most vintage 8" full range drivers from Coral, Fostex, Goodmans, Lowter, Isophon etc will work in this horn, Fostex and Lowter still produce suitable drivers as do many new manufacturers but there i have no own experince.

Ingvar

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 04:33:13 AM »
Ingvar if im right these then need no xo at all as they are full range? so its basically build the box and pop in the driver strait connect?

Offline King_Julian_S

That is supposedly the best way .. to get a good fullrange ..
some use super tweeters on top and extra bass at the bottom .. all depends I guess 

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2018, 07:21:05 PM »
For the KJS horn and one drver, no xo whatsoever, thatīs one of the major advantages as xoīs are the worst music damaging devices in a speaker.

I cant see any reason to use an extra hf horn covering, letīs say, 15kHz and upwards with those drivers we have mentioned, a bit more hf but not better hf and laying a veil over resolution and dynamics.

Adding a "sub" is just ridiculous if the sub isīnt also a horn and then only if You need to play very loud as the KJS horn with LE8-T will not produce much more than 115dB continously with a 15W amp.

Ingvar

Offline PsyCLown

For the KJS horn and one drver, no xo whatsoever, thatīs one of the major advantages as xoīs are the worst music damaging devices in a speaker.

I cant see any reason to use an extra hf horn covering, letīs say, 15kHz and upwards with those drivers we have mentioned, a bit more hf but not better hf and laying a veil over resolution and dynamics.

Adding a "sub" is just ridiculous if the sub isīnt also a horn and then only if You need to play very loud as the KJS horn with LE8-T will not produce much more than 115dB continously with a 15W amp.

Ingvar
For interest sake, what sort of low end extension could you expect from it giving it 15W (so taking excursion into consideration).

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Amps: 4x 150W into 8ohm (LJM L15D)
DSP: MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA & UMIK
Speakers:DIY Full Range Phillips AD12202 & Speakerplan's X15 on loan
Sub: DIY 12" ported & Peerless 10" Sealed on loan
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 LE

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Driver dependent but with the LE8-T and say a simple Edison 12 power amp, EL84, 12w, You should not expect more than 100dB at 25Hz, put a Mark Levinson ML11 as power amp i would say 115dB at 20Hz is within reach, this figure will be different depending on driver but the JBL, Lowter drivers, most Coral and Fostex will do about the same, Philips 9710 will probably be a bit shy below 30Hz, lots of other drivers i dont know that much about but any decent 8" fullrange will produce 110dB+ at 30Hz in this horn.

There is allmost no reason to take excursion into consideration, put 10W in, with a suitable driver, the excursion will be allmost zero as the impedance transormation is far more than 1to10.

Will also be usable with a tiny SET amp producing a watt or two, 100dB within reach, no doubt.

Ingvar

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:47 PM »
Just my 2c, Lowthers in Acoustas do not need any sub if paired with a decent amp whether valve or not as long as it is of a pre-nineties era.  I’ve run mine on valves, hybrids and currently on a NAD 3020A and there is no need for additional bass.  Just saying.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Well, i value Your input in this matter far above the mentioned 2c, Lowther in acousta horns is allways a bliss listening to, what acousta cab and drivers?

But i think there are quite a lot of amps 90:s and post that do a good job into whatever speaker ( but mine is from 82 and will probably never be replaced)

Ingvar

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »
i have a vintage sony i want to use for this.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
Well, i value Your input in this matter far above the mentioned 2c, Lowther in acousta horns is allways a bliss listening to, what acousta cab and drivers?

But i think there are quite a lot of amps 90:s and post that do a good job into whatever speaker ( but mine is from 82 and will probably never be replaced)

Ingvar

I bought the Lowthers in Acoustas from King J actually, PM6 with the square frame for the drivers, I think the Acoustas are from about 1961.

Old picture on the thread below. 

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,367.msg753461/topicseen.html#msg753461

They have since moved to the second system on a NAD3020A and run superbly on that as well.  They have run on an Exclame 100 (sublime), and two different valve amps, one about 8WPC (probably) one 15WPC.  They sing on all of them but now I have the Exclame 150 with phono stage I figured it would be a safer option to return them to a lower output amplifier (thus the NAD as they have a nice neutral sound and supposedly 25WPC - NAD Watts obviously) and return the Tannoys to the main system.

Different sonic signature to more modern speakers, but I never found the need for a sub.  I've played dub reggae through them and they responded nicely without having the floor shake a sub would add, and some ridiculously bassy old school rave once for a laugh (2 Bad Mice - Bombscare and Eon - Spice) and they even coped with that (better than I did - I can't believe I used to love those tracks).

Where I find they really come into their own is with late 60s/early 70s rock particularly psychedelic rock.  They give a soundstage that makes it seem as though each musician is in the room.  I really notice it with Can (Tago Mago or Ege Bamyesi preferably)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?