Super expensive cables

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigboy529

Reaction score
Hi all
So I'm new to this audiofile world and need something explained please.
The more I research and the deeper I dig, it seams there's one thing consistently popping up everyware.

Super expensive cables whether speaker or or other cables, it's as if enthisis gets placed on expensive cables more than anything else in the audio file world.

R1000 per meter for this speaker cable, R8000 per meter for this interconnecting cable, silver this and gold that and then we're not even at the different brands yet.
I'm not a complete newb when it comes to audio, I know a bit about cables, gauges, shielding, resistance, inductance etc, but all this seams to be a bit much. It seams most of it is snake oil, fancy marketing or whatever just to conn people out of their money.

Sure if you have a R200K amp driving a R800K pare of speakers you are not going to wire it with ripcord bought from the local hardware, but if you have a R10K amp driving a R10K pare of speakers it's a bit silly to wire it with R5K cables.

Please enlighten me, as said my opinion is that a lot of it is just fancy marketing hype. I wonder how many people can really hear a difference between a R500 and R1000 cable, but then again if it was super expensive it must be better right?