Author Topic: Turntable Shopping Advice  (Read 956 times)

Offline slaikan

Turntable Shopping Advice
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:57 AM »
Hi Vinyl experts

I'm looking for a TT to dip my toes into vinyl... for home audio use, looking for something that is pretty decent and will be for a while, sounds good without too much fiddling.
I can get an almost new SL1200-MKII for almost the same price as a Pioneer PLX-1000 right now. Anyone seen or used a Pioneer PLX-1000 or can comment on its spec. just thinking that perhaps the SL1200's prices have hiked purely based on its legendary status  :thinking:
I can also get a SL1210-M5G at a premium, but its seen more use, but still mint.. seller is asking around $800

Searching the web and this forum led to the following Stereophile post on the PLX-1000
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-4

Would a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit SB be a competitor in performance to a SL-1200 MKII

Maybe a Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon with a Sumiko Oyster
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-1Xpression-Carbon-Turntable-Sumiko/dp/B01KVZOIII/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514959341&sr=1-3&keywords=project+1xpression

Or a Rega Planar 2
https://www.amazon.com/REGA-Planar-Gloss-Black-Rega/dp/B01KVLHAS2/ref=pd_sbs_504_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01KVLHAS2&pd_rd_r=PFMK6D1SEZRJXR72PGQT&pd_rd_w=FAQxF&pd_rd_wg=dHvdK&psc=1&refRID=PFMK6D1SEZRJXR72PGQT

Apologies for all the links to Amazon, its just the US is my new place to stay, but SA and its people are still home.

Thanks!

Offline vintage

Re: Turntable Shopping Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
No one has any advice  :nfi:
I would say that you can't go wrong with any of these , they are all well regarded and have their followings.

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Buy used. The tech hasn't really changed since the 60s. You get way more bang for your buck. Get something reasonable and put a better cartridge on it.

Spend all your money on vinyl and upgrades, grow a beard, abandon your social life, make random comments about CDs being evil...
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »
What will it feed in to?
What Phono input do you have? Where would you place it?
What music do you like?

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline slaikan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
I'm starting the process of rebuilding my system. I'm aiming for a 2.1 system, small integrated with a phonostage, Rotel comes to mind. Speakers... I'm going to give the Elac Uni-Fi UB5's a go, with a single or dual sub. I have a minidsp which I brought along with me because it was small enough to slip into the luggage.

The artists I currently listen to, Dire Straits, Diana Krall, Katie Melua, Jack Johnson, Grayston Capps, Chris Jones, Nils Lofgren, Daft Punk, Jennifer Warnes, Michael Jackson.... etc.

The very first album i'm interested in getting on vinyl will probably be Vanessa Fernandez's Use Me

On the TT side, can get a Pioneer PLX-1000 for $500, open box, lightly used, like new, without the bearing issue the early ones had. Or it would be on of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon models. Secondhand... I'll have a look at Audiogon

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
You're heavily over-thinking this. In the 2nd hand market of 350 million people there are many easy choices to be made. If you are "looking for a TT to dip my toes into vinyl" get a classic belt drive for 50-100$ or an uncomplicated Jap direct drive for about the same or slightly more. There are 1000s of them in that market every day. But if you want to shine the blue DJ lights, well, you already narrowed it down.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline LouisF

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Buy used. The tech hasn't really changed since the 60s. You get way more bang for your buck. Get something reasonable and put a better cartridge on it.

Spend all your money on vinyl and upgrades, grow a beard, abandon your social life, make random comments about CDs being evil...
:ROFLMAO:
But true, to be sure.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline RyanC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
You should be fine with whatever you choose (as long as it's not one of those ion cheapies).

I got myself a Rega RP1 as a start and prefer to build my way up through changing components as my listening matures. This way, I feel I would appreciate the value of each component rather than getting the full shebang from the get go.

Offline Momo

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
I'm starting the process of rebuilding my system. I'm aiming for a 2.1 system, small integrated with a phonostage, Rotel comes to mind. Speakers... I'm going to give the Elac Uni-Fi UB5's a go, with a single or dual sub. I have a minidsp which I brought along with me because it was small enough to slip into the luggage.

The artists I currently listen to, Dire Straits, Diana Krall, Katie Melua, Jack Johnson, Grayston Capps, Chris Jones, Nils Lofgren, Daft Punk, Jennifer Warnes, Michael Jackson.... etc.

The very first album i'm interested in getting on vinyl will probably be Vanessa Fernandez's Use Me

On the TT side, can get a Pioneer PLX-1000 for $500, open box, lightly used, like new, without the bearing issue the early ones had. Or it would be on of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon models. Secondhand... I'll have a look at Audiogon

Jerome is selling some Project carbon turntables for R3900 with ortofon om10 or R4500 ortofon 2m red box & accessories incl. give him a call 076 874 3629 if interested.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »
Shipping them would kill the fun.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Johnnie