Author Topic: Disposing of outdated equipment  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Maxfly1

Disposing of outdated equipment
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
Hi, I hate hoarding things but also have difficulty in disposing of obsolete technology equipment which is still in perfect working order eg VHS player, Hi-8 Sony camcorder, 35mm film camera (gave this to a friend of mine that is into photography and dark room development),LG HDD recorder, old iPhones etc. The equipment is pretty worthless but to put it in the trash is a problem for me, but hoarding it is silly as well.

What do you guys do?
Front B&W 804D3, centre CMC2, surround 685 S1, PV1D sub. Classe CP800 pre-amp, Rotel RMB1585 main amp, Marantz UD7007, Marantz SR6006 AVR

Offline thenoizeguy

Re: Disposing of outdated equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
There will always be buyers, even a few bucks from Cash Converters is better than nothing.
I will gladly take the Hi8 machine. I have plenty of tapes from my kids still on Hi8 which I would.like to digitize. Will PM you.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Lupo

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »
Freebies or Hospice. Better yet, Freebies and ask the guys to make a donation to Hospice for instance, the donation will hopefully discourage hoarding. You can always drop the VHS machine off at an old age home, someone there is bound to have VHS tapes they can no longer watch due to a broken player.

I use an old iPhone 4 to control the volume on the "aux in" on my B&W Zeppelin for instance, some have them set-up as nanny cams.

Recycling and/or re-purposing should be encouraged. One man's obsolete technology is another man's tried and tested technology, take vinyl for instance...... Okay calm down forumites, I'm just messing!

Good luck with the clean-up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:16:57 AM by Lupo »

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+111)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:56 PM »
If it still works, you can take it to Oasis.  They are wary of electronic and electrical equipment, so I always put in a note about the overall condition.  They like - portable radios, CD players, CDs and DVDs, small computer accessories (routers, etc).  They do not like:  VCRs, cassette decks and players (the portable ones)

There is an e-Waste depot run by Cape Town Council on Rosmead Avenue in Wynberg.  You drive in and go half-way along.  There are many "helpers" who will empty your car in 10 seconds flat.  They will take anything, old computers, CRT monitors, dead printers, old TVs, anything at all with a mains lead on it.  Some of the helpers can actually get things going and one fellow, who I thought looked down and out, said he made belts to get some old VCR machines going again.  I took an old Toshiba Beta VCR there and told him I would pay him to get it going.  I went back in a few days and it was waiting for me and I gave him R100 which made his day
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
+1 on Oasis - we take stuff there all the time, and each time I also buy a few books and CDs!
(Have looked a thousand times, but never found a decent LP there, though...)
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline MR.C

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
Hi, I hate hoarding things but also have difficulty in disposing of obsolete technology equipment which is still in perfect working order eg VHS player, Hi-8 Sony camcorder, 35mm film camera (gave this to a friend of mine that is into photography and dark room development),LG HDD recorder, old iPhones etc. The equipment is pretty worthless but to put it in the trash is a problem for me, but hoarding it is silly as well.

What do you guys do?
Might be interested in some items if prices are worth it.

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+111)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
At Oasis this morning.  Found some brand-new Woolworths shirts in my size, R30 each so bought 8.  These are at least R250 at Woolies, maybe more.  Still in their wrapper, some plain white, some stripe and textured blue.   Was a gorgeous pink one with white cuffs, and Playboy Bunny motifs but left it for someone who might appreciate that combo
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Juggy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »

What do you guys do?

I would also be interested in an old iphone to control my Kodi setup if you want to get rid of on that is in fairly decent condition.

Offline Neil

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »
funny i need a vhs player.....where abouts are you?
does it still work?
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Offline BillyBawb

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
I'd happily buy the older iPhones off you... off the top of your head, any idea what models they are?
Main: CX-A5100| Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig 5ch SII| B&W Nautilus 802| NHTM1| N804 | SST4| SCM1| ASW 800| SW380| UA82MU8000
Bedroom: RX-A860| B&W FPM4 + FPM2 5.1 | D10.GX| UA65KS9500
Study: Panorama 2| UA55D8000
Plex + 90TB FreeNAS

Offline Red Baron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • waiting for the wireless winch...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
 :point:
I would also be interested in an old iphone to control my Kodi setup if you want to get rid of on that is in fairly decent condition.

Hi Chris, which Oasis branch did you go to? The one in Claremont?
Et Vidi...
MYRYAD MI 240; CASTLE Harlech S1; InterAudio Alpha 1; KLIPSCH Quintet III & SW10; NAKAMICHI MB 5 CD Player, SONY DBP - S360;QED QNECT 2, MONSTER Interconnect; CABLE TALK Speaker cable, MONSTER Speaker Cables

Offline Maxfly1

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
Hi Nick, I am in Pretoria. VHS player is a Sansui, perfect working condition. Available as freebie.
Front B&W 804D3, centre CMC2, surround 685 S1, PV1D sub. Classe CP800 pre-amp, Rotel RMB1585 main amp, Marantz UD7007, Marantz SR6006 AVR

Offline Maxfly1

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
The Noizeguy (Tony) was going to take the Sony Hi8 videocam but did not contact me again. I will keep it for any forum member for another week. As a freebie but on collection basis only, In no interest I will dispose of it. Cleared out most of my old tech gear now.