Author Topic: The 2017 Schitt for the entire year since January, still hasn't stopped  (Read 2015 times)

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
My beloved dachshund Judy - my companion of almost 15 years - took ill late this afternoon :'( Foamy vomiting and restlessnes. And drinking lots of water. I discussed the excessive water drinking with her regular vet 2 or 3 days ago and we decided to let her have her last drink at 6pm and the plan was to take her to the vet on the 27th. This afternoon's problem necessitated taking her to a 24hr animal hospital today which I did a few hours ago. She will stay there overnight for a sonar scan and I just hope they can prolong some better health for a few years more as it is just the two of us living here.

I just hope this will be the last of annus horriblus' calamitous 2017.

skollie

If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
Re: The 2017 Schitt for the entire year since January, still hasn't stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »
Heartbreaking and hoping she pulls through skollie   :pray:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »
Thank you, CAD.

There are lots of images of her on the 'net doing her favourite tricks of 'biting' water from sprinklers, carrying my beer bottles around, stealing my fags or socks and many other memories. She also survived a button spider bite on her right front foot and eventually had to have a toe amputated. We've had 7 or 8 dachshunds over the years - always 2 at a time. What worries me the most of today's problem is her restlessness and hugely increased intake of water. I know what that means - failing kidneys.

skollie 

Online Juggy

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 06:57:39 AM »
I really feel for you Skollie, we have a little Daschund as well and 7 or 8 years ago got the slipped disc. Nasty operation, intensive care and close to 20k later and the poor boy just hasn't been the same since.

I think we're going to have to take the next step quite soon, he is also 14 or 15, not too sure as he is a rescue. Terrible thing is our little Jack Russell is also quite old as are 2 of our 3 cats.

I have a nasty feeling our household is going to be minus 3 or four members in the not too distant future.

Good luck, I hope the little one pulls through this and is with you for a few more years.
| Lounge System | Samsung UA65MU8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ1100 | Tannoy XT 8F | Tannoy XT C | Intel NUC |
| Braai System | Samsung UA40J5300 | Dixon K2250USB | Paradigm Mini Monitor V2 |

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
My Harriet send her best wishes and kisses

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
Wishing her well.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
Oom Skollie, when I read your posts over the past few days and weeks it is with a sense of sadness and helplessness to see all your trials and tribulations, and my heart goes out to you.

I sincerely hope that the higher powers that you believe in clears your path and makes it so much better for you to see an end to this testing time in your life.

If I have one wish and only one wish today, I wish that your days forward are fulfilling and rich.

Merry Christmas.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
Oom Skollie, when I read your posts over the past few days and weeks it is with a sense of sadness and helplessness to see all your trials and tribulations, and my heart goes out to you.

I sincerely hope that the higher powers that you believe in clears your path and makes it so much better for you to see an end to this testing time in your life.

If I have one wish and only one wish today, I wish that your days forward are fulfilling and rich.

Merry Christmas.

I read this thread with tears in my eyes - AlleyCat, I think your post above is so very heartfelt and touching - just wonderful.

I have not met Oom Skollie but I echo the other posters here when wishing him a smooth and easy road ahead.
Indeed, may 2018 be an Annus Pulchra - a beautiful one.

I myself have two Chihuahuas that are like my children, and like my real kids I would be devastated should anything happen to either of them.
I hope that Judy gets better soon and that it was just something temporary.

Merry Xmas Oom Skollie - thinking of you.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:27:51 PM by capetownwatches »

Amps: NFB11.32 [upgraded] - Little Dot MKll [upgraded] - X-Can V3
DAC:   Benchmark DAC1 USB
Cans:  LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 03:14:01 AM »
                                                                  RIP

Judith Sabine von Luc (Judy)  - Born 11/07/2003  - Died 25/12/2017

She was last of the dynasty of 7 dachshunds who owned us since the mid seventies. I asked for her to stay overnight at a certain veterinary hospital in a Claremont Avenue and collected her at just before 8am this morning by prior arrangement with a friendly young vet. I didn't carry her back to my car as it it unmaganable with the walking stick I use. The 7am call from the vet said" Judy is just fine and will recover well very soon.

When I brought her to this place last night, the first question the nose ringed and tattoo'ed receptionists asked me if I have enough cash as a "deposit" which I confirmed by showing them my wallet. They asked me for R1K payable immediately which I paid with my bank card before meeting the doctor.

I was then interviewed by said friendly young veterinary surgeon and supplied Judy's details of her regular vet's name, current medication and several other questions, including even my car registration no which I couldn't remember anyway. In passing, I mentioned that I was one of the first 'customers' of this then newly built vet practice. So, after talking a bit about what could be done about Judy's problems, the vet suggested the do an ultrascan which I agreed to. I'm not sure if this was one as I wasn't billed for this.

On the way out of the place this morning, I was then given a can of unknown dog goo in a tin and instructed to give her a little of this sloshed over their new feeding regime of 4!! light meals each day until she recovered. This employee had rows of arrows tattoo'ed up her arms. Not that I dislike tattoo'ed young women and maybe I'm too old to have understanding for present trendiness but fore me at least - it makes a poor impression if worn my front desk staff.

Oddly, there was no second billing to 'top up' the R1K 'deposit' I paid the previous night. Two other odd things - she was prescribed no other medication nor the customary handing over of the 'patient' to its owner by the doctor in whose care she was. But maybe he was too busy.

On my way home, I stopped off at PnP for some fresh carrots which I always grate over her daily meal when at home.

Since she looked so sad and miserable, I then decided on the spur of the moment to take her to one of her favourite walking places - Paradise park alongside the M3 for some sunshine and fresh air. When I put her down on the grass, I immediately noticed that she couldn't stand as both her hind legs were paralysed and splayed outwards in a strange way which was certainly not the case as we enjoyed a long walk there at 4pm the same day before she took ill somewhere between 5 and 6pm yesterday.

By the time we left the park, it was close to 12noon and a mad rush followed to the Blue Cross Vet Hospital in Newlands. To their credit, they waited for me and explained that there were no staff present during the holidays so they could not hospitalise my sick dog. Also free of charge was an introductory letter hurriedly prepared to another 24hr animal hospital in Rondebosch so I gunned the Laguna there.

Although I had to wait a very long time and later sitting outside with my dog while waiting for the doctor, we had a thorough answer and question session about Judy's problems. I suggested they keep her there for a few days until the expected 'recovery' prognosis is complete but at the end of the discussion, the doctor and I both decided I keep her at home in familiar surrounds until our usual vet returned from his holiday.

I put her in a shady space on my back stoep, offered her food and water but she would not take anything.

While inside my house for a few minutes, I discovered she must have dragged herself off the back stoep steps and I soon found her crawled deep into a bushy shrub.

It was then that I realised that Judy's end was near and spent an hour with her to say goodbye with utmost reluctance and sadness.

I then called practice no 3, explained the situation  and infiormed them that my companion of almost 15 years be relieved from her pain, sadness and discomfort and be euthanised.

That was how I spent my Christmas yesterday.

Merry Xmas and prosperous 2018, Malan. Remember the time many years ago when I paid you +- R7K on the offchance you could save the life of one of my earlier dachshunds? She died on my 50th birthday - the same day I collected her from you.

I don't dislike or being vengeful towards veterinary surgeons. The vast majority performed valuable services for me and my canine friends.

It is the reckless and untrue or careless diagnostics spouted to pet owners to raise their hopes and expectations that their pets will recover which I detest.

It was at yet another local fancily built and equioped practice that one of my also earlier dachshunds died from septicemia after being administered a contaminated SABAX drip. An alleged 30 + black babies also died in Kimberley from the same maker's product at the time. Another shocking incident related to this mortality ensued afterwards but I'l spare you the gory details as it was Christmas yesterday and 2018 awaits.

skollie     

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »
I'm so sorry Skollie. :(

RIP Lucy.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 07:34:57 AM »
My condolences Skollie. By all accounts she had a wonderfull life and you were well looked after.
RIP Lucy.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »
Lucy was the first dachshund we had in the early 70's and Judy the last who died yesterday afternoon.

Malan is the Christian name of the founder of XXXX Animal Hospital where all will be well and good was predicted on Old Year's Eve.

I'll be taking back their crappy tin of dog food but won't say or do anything as ethics are no longer a factor in many places.

Judy was indeed old, but not by our usual experiences of dachshunds. One was almost 20 the night she died Others were 18 and sixteen.

It is quite possible that she was beyond prolonging of life but why lie about recovering and getting well again and demand R1K upfront for such b/s?

skollie

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Damn ,so sorry to hear this skollie ,condolences
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Sorry medicak wemwergebcy, cabt repky.   

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+22)