Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning?  (Read 481 times)

Offline Lord Farquart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Ultrasonic cleaning?
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Got about 400 Vinyls in a barn-find. They were stored for 30 odd years in a wooden shed and survived remarkably well. Lots of Rock/Punk and some pop from the '80s in there. Unfortunately they are very dusty. Don't want to touch them before then, as I am too scared I will damage them. Was thinking of a non-contact cleaning method like ultrasonic, but the cost of buying a 30cm+ unit is quite prohibitive.

Can a person rent one from somewhere? If not, anyone have a simple local component list of a DIY build? Or would that not work out cheaper than buying? Any help appreciated.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Ultrasonic cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
Whatever damage might have been done to them is done already.
Rinse a record first under strong spray of tap water (keep the labels dry!!!!!!) to get rid of any hard deposits, then wash it immediately using normal RCM.

No RCM? Google manual methods.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
A guy here in Cape Town brought an ultrasonic record cleaner to a Vinyl Faire.  A big palava setting it up, it took 6 LPs and took about 15 mins to clean them.  The cleaning solution was water with a surfacant and a touch of washing liquid

They came out spotless
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »
I saw this this morning - looks interesting.

http://degritter.com/
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline Lord Farquart

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
I saw this this morning - looks interesting.

http://degritter.com/

It does indeed.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
That works in the same way that we saw at a VF.  I will enquire with him if he has made any.  The commercial version looks very elegant (and probably expensive)
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Hydrology

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
A guy here in Cape Town brought an ultrasonic record cleaner to a Vinyl Faire.  A big palava setting it up, it took 6 LPs and took about 15 mins to clean them.  The cleaning solution was water with a surfacant and a touch of washing liquid

They came out spotless

A DIY version? I went down that path but the concern is not knowing what frequencies these work at and therefore if there is any long-term damage being done, so I bit the bullet and bought the KL Audio cleaner - best investment ever for my vinyl collection. But I still use my ProJect RCM first, followed by a spell in the KL, then of course a new inner (MoFi) sleeve.