Author Topic: Safe SPL on headphones  (Read 326 times)

Offline LouisF

Safe SPL on headphones
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
Some interesting remarks regarding sound pressure level when listening on headphones. I said in another thread that one should not exceed 100 dB, but that was incorrect. Do yourself a favour and read here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-headphones-and-hearing-safety

and here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-sensitivity-impedance-required-v-i-p-amplifier-gain.668238/
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Safe SPL on headphones
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Search for safe noise exposure limits. Then download an SPL meter app ans stick it in the earcup to enaure you stay within safe SPL / listening time limits bearing other noise exposure in a normal 14hr period in mind.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline LouisF

Re: Safe SPL on headphones
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Spoke to an audiologist earlier today and he said that 85 dB is safe if sustained for period of eight hours, while short duration peaks (2 or 3 sec) of up to 100 dB should not cause permanent harm.The rule is that the safe time of exposure to the sound level halves with every increase of 5 dB, starting with 8 h @ 85 dB, 4 h @ 90 dB, and so on.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.