Author Topic: Safe SPL on headphones  (Read 273 times)

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Safe SPL on headphones
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
Some interesting remarks regarding sound pressure level when listening on headphones. I said in another thread that one should not exceed 100 dB, but that was incorrect. Do yourself a favour and read here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-headphones-and-hearing-safety

and here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-sensitivity-impedance-required-v-i-p-amplifier-gain.668238/
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Safe SPL on headphones
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Search for safe noise exposure limits. Then download an SPL meter app ans stick it in the earcup to enaure you stay within safe SPL / listening time limits bearing other noise exposure in a normal 14hr period in mind.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Safe SPL on headphones
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Spoke to an audiologist earlier today and he said that 85 dB is safe if sustained for period of eight hours, while short duration peaks (2 or 3 sec) of up to 100 dB should not cause permanent harm.The rule is that the safe time of exposure to the sound level halves with every increase of 5 dB, starting with 8 h @ 85 dB, 4 h @ 90 dB, and so on.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.