My trusty Quad 405 MK 1 is fixed!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A really difficult and 3-month long convoluted journey.

It was only a dead l/h channel. With the assistance of a friend's recommendations and some suggestions from DADA Electronics, I replaced many components - bipolars and some resistors but it kept blowing 1 4A fuse on the L/H board. I can solder carefully and neatly but admit I really am a dufus  and didn't really know what I was doing.

It was then that I gave the faulty board to my friend who is also not an audio electronics person, being a retired Telkom test equipment tech.

Anyway, last night he called me and informed me there was 1 faulty new bipolar ex Communica and this, together with 1 open circuit resistor which was replaced and the fused stopped blowing.

So this morning, we set it up with a pre-amp and both channels worked after many weeks of frustration but...

The faulty board's heatsinks were very hot :'(

After the tecxh left, I had another close look and found one of those black transistors +- 1mm away from its heatsink as its screw had a stripped thread...

After hunting through my bins of idential boltsand nuts, I fastened the blerrie thing properly to its heatsink and all is cool and played like it used to - no more overheating.

All I'm looking for now is a worthy replacement for my stolen Sansui 317 MK11.

skollie